Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which OBA would you choose if you had the money in hand???
Kilby
50.00%
ORO
22.00%
Other belt driven system not listed above.
28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

On Board Air

Old 09-03-2008, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On Board Air

Well I have saved my pennies up and have about 1200$ dollars. I am torn between ORO and Kilby. I like the ORO due to not having to move the A/C line but other than that I am really at a loss. Any one have any input on either system. Have you had any dealings with either or both that may help me decide on which I wanna go with?
Old 09-03-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

If your looking at spending that kinda dough, you should check out VIAIR. I have owned two of there systems with no issues ever. It just always works.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92043_604.htm
Old 09-03-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Junkie

Check out River Raider too. They have an oBA kit for 975.

http://riverraider.com/Productsonboardair.html

Last edited by Robar; 12-10-2008 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Edited direct link
Old 09-03-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default On Board Air

Hi! In all likelyhood I will never install a "high tech" on board air system. I've installed a 20# CO2 tank, regulator, and 30ft hose with fittings and adapters and it has worked very well on several occations to help motorists with "low tire pressure" problems. I installed a simple "industrial duty" 12 volt compressor on my Polaris Ranger and it too works well for pumping up others ATV tires and one small tractor tire. I'm not sure I can justify a multi-thousand dollar tire pump! Take care... Mike
Old 09-03-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Well it might help if I add this

I have future plans on adding the JK Airock air suspension lift to my Rubi. This is the reason for the thousand dollar tire pump. I also have a 21 inch Groover Studder tone fire truck air horn mounted already. So as you see I need a little more than a simple tire pump. Hope this helps everyone understand the need for a full engine driven OBA
Old 09-04-2008, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hello???

Did only 3 people see this. I really need some help here. I know that more of you guys and gals have had some dealings with these two OBAs. Please help me decide which one I wanna go with. Chris
Old 09-04-2008, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, $1200 could buy a ton of other mods...
Sorry, I don't have an opinion on OBA and not knockin ya for wanting to spend $1200 on it, but yeah...
Old 09-04-2008, 08:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with one that uses a seperate pump and NOT the a/c and also that does not move the a/c either.

This is RubyDoo's current set-up, fills her 35's from 10 to 32 psi in 2 mins per tire.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Save your cash and buy a CO2 tank. Fills faster, strap it to a rollcage bar - installation = done. Use a 20lb tank myself and the thing rocks. I grabbed mine from a forum member here who was one of the auto-tranny fire victims. If paint matched to my jeep and with regulator and hose whole package was around $350. Smaller tank would work fine and be lighter / cheaper.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

A grand seems excessive to me, but to each their own. You could easily spend a couple hundred more and have both OBA and a nice WARN winch, BUT that wouldn't quite solve your need for tank held air. The couple of WARN PowerPlants that I've seen up close and used (borrowed on the trails to air back up) seem to have a very small tank...meaning it is about 1/2 a second between the time you push the hose on the valve stem and when the motor kicks on. That compressor seems to never give up though, and airs up fairly fast.

I would look at the possibility of modifying a PowerPlant by running it's output to an external tank. A tank and hose are cheap, and if you have the right tank, you can easily use it for airing up tires, tools, your horn, and the air ride lift you're considering ++++ you end up with a great winch for the same money and do not have to modify anything under the hood thereby compromising your warranty.

Quick Reply: On Board Air