Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

On board air

Old 07-02-2014, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the ARB twin compressor installed it works extremely well have not put an air tank on it yet.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default On board air

The guy I wheel with has the ckma12 it worked wonders airing his tires and mine after a run.

I actually would like an air tank eventually but arbs website doesn't have that compressor in a kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jdenney; 07-02-2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: ...
Old 07-02-2014, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got one of those Tuff Stuff mobile air compressor kits off amazon and I love it. Makes quick work of my tires. I think I paid 50 bucks or something? if you're not running tools and stuff off it, and you're just trying to air up tires, I would recommend against all the fancy crap and apply K.I.S.S.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatDiver
That is the assumption everyone comes to after skimming over the pros and con's or specs. The fact is it will probably make you happiest but is also the most prone to failure over time and costs the most. If you don't want/need an air tank then it would make more sense. But if you are willing to accommodate an air tank then 100% duty cycle isn't such a big deal (unless you expect to use as much as the tank will hold plus more to exceed the amount the compressor can tolerate). It really boils down to what you'll be using it for and whether or not you are patient enough for it to fill an air tank or not. Simply inflating the tires after offroading and the occasional auxiliary use (air tools, inflating things, etc.) 100% duty cycle is superfluous. If you see yourself using the compressor more than that or aren't patient for it to pressurize a tank then a 100% duty cycle would be for you. I hope I haven't dirtied the water too much and perhaps have helped a little. The air compressor conundrum is a common one and you would benefit from seeing what others have said regarding it. Just keep your BS filter on and you should be fine and make the best decision with the information out there. The best of both worlds in my opinion is a loose air tank (one that can be strapped/mounted but also removed and taken to be used beyond the vehicle).
Indeed.
I used the ARB twin head for continuous inflation of the 4 wheels -- in 3 or 4 occasions, when in a hurry -- and it worked just fine, but when time is no big issue, I do let it cool for a while after 2 wheels.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the VIAIR 400P, been pretty happy with it. Fills up my four 37's from 12 to 28PSI in about 20 minutes. I know your looking for a hard mount kit but its a good option for the price. In the future I will probably do the kit with the tank and the two compressors on it I just dont know where I want to mount it. Most kits put them under the hood where they are exposed to way more heat/dirt/moisture than is healthy for them IMO. Was thinking of maybe mounting the compressors in the rear cargo area and putting a tank where the muffler is with a skid plate on it. Still unsure of how I want to deal with the muffler as it currently has a huge gash in it .
Old 07-02-2014, 07:15 PM
JK Junkie

I have both a Viair 450p and the ARB onboard, I forget the model #, it's one model up from the basic model, meaning that it has a place to plug in an air line for onboard air

I use it pretty often to air back up 4 MTR 37's from 10 psi to 24 psi with no breaks

If I have a problem I'll swap out the current ARB to the twin one

I should probably sell the 3 month old Viair, I pack it just in case but haven't had to use it since I added the ARB compressor for the ARB lockers

Matthew
Old 07-02-2014, 07:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default how are those viair portables?

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I have both a Viair 450p and the ARB onboard, I forget the model #, it's one model up from the basic model, meaning that it has a place to plug in an air line for onboard air

I use it pretty often to air back up 4 MTR 37's from 10 psi to 24 psi with no breaks

If I have a problem I'll swap out the current ARB to the twin one

I should probably sell the 3 month old Viair, I pack it just in case but haven't had to use it since I added the ARB compressor for the ARB lockers

Matthew
I was concidering buying one down the line here , just curious on its performance
I only have 33s so I prob can get away with the 400p for 189.00 for my use
I don't air down right now for most of my need
Old 07-02-2014, 08:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
I was concidering buying one down the line here , just curious on its performance
I only have 33s so I prob can get away with the 400p for 189.00 for my use
I don't air down right now for most of my need
I only have experience with the 450p

For those wondering, the P in 450P stands for portable

I paid a bunch more than your 400p

My 450P is probably a much better piece of gear than the ARB, but so far the ARB has always functioned well for my ARB lockers plus airing up all four tires without any signs that it needed a break

Matthew
Old 07-02-2014, 09:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
Is your ARB installed in the engine bay ?

Yes. The compressor motors are similar to the alternator, starter, and cooling fan; and the location is approved by ARB, so I'm good with it. I don't run mud or ford deep water. I am building an external filtered air intake though.

The failed part was a temp sensor in one motor. Not associated with the environment, just a bad pair of contacts in the sealed sensor. ARB sent a replacement part to me while I was on the road to MOAB.

The cool thing about the twin was having the other half keep on working while I waited for the part.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an ARB twin use it for air up, running air tools and my air horns. Have a 2 gallon Viair tank mounted in a Rugged Ridge evap skid. The compressor is mounted in the trunk hole in the back.
Used it to run my 1/2in impact gun for a timing belt I did. Work great for 12v system.

Quick Reply: On board air