Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

On board air

Old 07-01-2014, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On board air

Trying to read up on this but can't seem to find much. My searching must not be so great.

I want a kit that will come with a tank to mount.

I don't understand the differences between the cc count. Or the duty cycles? I just want to be able to air my tires fairly quick, have a reliable compressor that won't fail in a year.

A guy I run with has an arb I don't know which one but it was super quick and didn't over heat. Another guy had a cheap harbor freight and it didn't even air one tire before over heating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2014, 01:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdenney
Trying to read up on this but can't seem to find much. My searching must not be so great.

I don't understand the differences between the cc count. Or the duty cycles? I just want to be able to air my tires fairly quick, have a reliable compressor that won't fail in a year.

A guy I run with has an arb I don't know which one but it was super quick and didn't over heat. Another guy had a cheap harbor freight and it didn't even air one tire before over heating

The ARB are well tested & proven world-wide, and are among the most reliable compressors one could get.
Mine works fine inflating 35"s even in desert conditions, around 40 Celsius (104+ F) ambient temperature.

If you're after real quick tire inflation, get the twin-head. It's basically two ARB compressors mounted together, so there're two pistons and about double the airflow.

Some install them in the engine bay. I wouldn't. I don't see the point of "cooking" a compressor in such a hot place, or having it suck hot air, or being exposed to water, mud and dirt.

I keep the ARB at the rear. I had a fixed one, sold it with the Jeep, and for the current Jeep I got another ARB, the portable Twin head. I find the portability to be more convenient.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ARB Portable Compressor 001.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	562955 Click image for larger version

Name:	ARB Portable Compressor 003.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	562957

Links --

http://store.arbusa.com/Compressors-C9.aspx

Portable Twin-head -- http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Twin-Hig...-P22666C9.aspx

Last edited by GJeep; 07-01-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

That's the 900 compressor kit...

I was looking at the 4-5 range. That one is nice though.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Former Vendor

If your JK has a 3.8L we would recommend looking into the Viair 2on2 kit. We have been running this kit with a 5 gallon tank plumbed in for over a year and it works very well.

The duty cycle has to do with the time a compressor can be run vs the time it needs to "cool down". For instance, a 50% duty cycle means the compressor can run for say 5 minutes, but then will need that same amount of time to cool before it can run again to compress more air. This is to prevent the compressor from over heating and burning out.

CFM (cubic feet per minute) is a measure of how much volume the compressor will supply.

CC (cubic centimeters) would be referring to the size of the chamber of the compressor.

Let us know if you have any other questions or would like a price on any compressor at all.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:10 PM
JK Junkie

My ARB airs up four 35" tires continuously. It doesn't need duty cycles.
It "rests" only for as long as it takes to move the air pipe from one wheel to another, which well under 30 seconds.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GJeep
My ARB airs up four 35" tires continuously. It doesn't need duty cycles.
It "rests" only for as long as it takes to move the air pipe from one wheel to another, which well under 30 seconds.
The ARB compressor you are using is 100% duty cycle likely at 100psi. They are great compressors. The particular compressors we run are also rated at 100% duty cycle at 100psi. The duty cycle is 55% at 200psi. We opted for these compressors and the extra 5 gallon air tank for running air tools on the trail. It fills up large tires very quickly with that pressure and volume. Not sure if you took the 5 minute time frame literally as it was only meant to be a random reference for the op to get an idea of what duty cycle means.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

After repeated repairs on my Viair I installed the ARB twin with a tank (not ARB's tank), a custom distribution manifold, a dashboard pressure gauge, a pair of air horns, and an air chuck for tires. The compressor is great. Continuous duty and very fast.

But, in all fairness, I've already started repairing the weak parts of the ARB. Maybe somebody makes a 12v compressor that you don't rent from the parts department?

In any case, having the onboard air is worth the pain.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

So I want a 100 duty cycle. That would make it not need a cool down period and would be the quickest for me

Old 07-02-2014, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Freewill
After repeated repairs on my Viair I installed the ARB twin with a tank (not ARB's tank), a custom distribution manifold, a dashboard pressure gauge, a pair of air horns, and an air chuck for tires. The compressor is great. Continuous duty and very fast.

But, in all fairness, I've already started repairing the weak parts of the ARB. Maybe somebody makes a 12v compressor that you don't rent from the parts department?

In any case, having the onboard air is worth the pain.
Is your ARB installed in the engine bay ?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I want a 100 duty cycle. That would make it not need a cool down period and would be the quickest for me

That is the assumption everyone comes to after skimming over the pros and con's or specs. The fact is it will probably make you happiest but is also the most prone to failure over time and costs the most. If you don't want/need an air tank then it would make more sense. But if you are willing to accommodate an air tank then 100% duty cycle isn't such a big deal (unless you expect to use as much as the tank will hold plus more to exceed the amount the compressor can tolerate). It really boils down to what you'll be using it for and whether or not you are patient enough for it to fill an air tank or not. Simply inflating the tires after offroading and the occasional auxiliary use (air tools, inflating things, etc.) 100% duty cycle is superfluous. If you see yourself using the compressor more than that or aren't patient for it to pressurize a tank then a 100% duty cycle would be for you. I hope I haven't dirtied the water too much and perhaps have helped a little. The air compressor conundrum is a common one and you would benefit from seeing what others have said regarding it. Just keep your BS filter on and you should be fine and make the best decision with the information out there. The best of both worlds in my opinion is a loose air tank (one that can be strapped/mounted but also removed and taken to be used beyond the vehicle).

Last edited by CombatDiver; 07-02-2014 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: On board air