Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

blow rear, what to upgrade

Old 02-05-2015, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blow rear, what to upgrade

While driving I blew out my rear gear and pinion. I was running 35s with stock gearing. I have a 2011 JK sport. Im probably going to go to 4.88's or 5.13's. what gear/axle shaft upgrades do you all suggest so that this does not happen again?
Old 02-05-2015, 01:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be ok with 4.88's especially with the manual trans. The teeth get small on 5.13's for the D30.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A d60? Conscious effort to avoid the situation that broke them?

The shafts were undamaged? Was the diff open, or locked? Can you tell what specifically happened to the gears?

4.88s/5.13s will be thinner/weaker than the stock gears you just blew up. If you upgrade to alloy shafts, you ensure that the load goes to the new weaker gears. Best bet may just be to adjust your driving, or move up to a beefier axle.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
A d60? Conscious effort to avoid the situation that broke them?

The shafts were undamaged? Was the diff open, or locked? Can you tell what specifically happened to the gears?

4.88s/5.13s will be thinner/weaker than the stock gears you just blew up. If you upgrade to alloy shafts, you ensure that the load goes to the new weaker gears. Best bet may just be to adjust your driving, or move up to a beefier axle.
I'm going to agree with this guy^^^ If you upgrade the shafts then it's even more likely to break the R&P, especially if you are gearing down. The shafts are pretty cheap compared and an easy fix compared to a new R&P or carrier. Guys love the chromolly shafts or the RCV...They don't break, this is true, but other stuff will. I would use this as an excuse to go bigger!
Old 02-05-2015, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

If I replace the whole rear axle, for now do you think I should tow it twelve miles to the garage, or am I safe In four high?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

So curious what happened? This happened just driving down the road??
Old 02-06-2015, 03:28 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pbloom95
If I replace the whole rear axle, for now do you think I should tow it twelve miles to the garage, or am I safe In four high?
Tow it. That way the bits and pieces don't get jammed up and cause any more issues.

As for upgrading, if you got the cash, D60. Do it once and done. If not, then a teraflex or Dynatrac housing with either Alloy or Ten Factory half shafts.

Gears: I am running 5.38's but am pushing 37 in toyo's with an auto. 4.88's for a manual.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post a picture of the broken parts and tell us what happened.

Quite frankly, it's a rarity to have stock gears break on 35" tires. Something is not right.

Quick Reply: blow rear, what to upgrade