Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

block heater

Old 12-05-2013, 01:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I know a block heater, or oil pan heater, is nice to have, but don't get one thinking it's needed.
The JK will start just fine at -30°F.
Cold starts, while not ideal, don't seem to be a problem with today's engines and oils.

In fact, some people who have them on their JKs have posted about check engine lights coming on because the computer thinks the water temp sensor is reading incorrectly. (It compares water temp, ambient are temp, time since shutdown, etc.)
I never had a cel come on on my 2013 jku that was plugged in all last winter nor my 14 that has been just recently plugged in. I can say that when it is sub zero they both start much easier and warm up faster when I remember to plug them in vs when I don't.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a block heater, or oil pan heater, is nice to have, but don't get one thinking it's needed.
Cold starts, while not ideal, don't seem to be a problem with today's engines and oils.

In fact, some people who have them on their JKs have posted about check engine lights coming on because the computer thinks the water temp sensor is reading incorrectly. (It compares water temp, ambient are temp, time since shutdown, etc.)
Its not a starting issue and I do have remote start I just like not having to warm it up to make it warm. Plugged in I can jump in and go and its warm air blowing in less than a minute
Old 12-05-2013, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

ok i understand that it is not required. i have had my jeep for about four years in NY and it does get cold and wintery there. but recently going to Maine its going to be a little worse i think and i know the jeep did great in NY with the temps and elements but it did take a while for it to get up and warm running. i feel that having these things warm close to operating parameters the easier the jeep has to work to maintain itself. and for some reason my jeep appears to be starting rougher now then in NY and I am always on top of my maintenance and the plugs and wires and battery are all new and working properly its just definitely colder out side and my vehicle does sit for a few days every couple of days due to my work rotation being in the Coast Guard. well i greatly appreciate everyone's input with this it has been a great help locating my non existent block heater and how great they work in the harsh elements.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Glad I noticed this thread. Went out and checked my 10 JKUS. Found the cord for the heater wrapped up by the battery. Going to run the wire tomorrow and zip tie it down.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

What are ya'lls thoughts about using 16g extension cord for the block heater? I don't want to do anything that will cause a fire...
Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 PM
JK Newbie

I'm not so sure about that. Being as I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, most vehicles stop starting well at about -15, most people plug in at -10 or warmer, and only the rare vehicle starts at anything lower than -25.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I have had two jku's and both times the plugs were wound up and located tucked behind the windshield fluid container.
Damn, guess I'll have to take a look when I get home from work tonight.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by cspradlin
I'm not so sure about that. Being as I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, most vehicles stop starting well at about -15, most people plug in at -10 or warmer, and only the rare vehicle starts at anything lower than -25.
Perhaps I should have said my JK and those in my area start just fine at -30°F (Yes, we do get that low. The record low in Maine is -50°F.)
If my JK stopped starting well at -15°F, I'd be looking into why. Even my VW TDI diesel starts well at those low temperatures.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Perhaps I should have said my JK and those in my area start just fine at -30°F (Yes, we do get that low. The record low in Maine is -50°F.)
If my JK stopped starting well at -15°F, I'd be looking into why. Even my VW TDI diesel starts well at those low temperatures.
just because it starts does not mean it would be easier on the engine and starter if a block heater was used. We have gone over 30 days straight without being above 0F and people who parked inside or had block heaters probably were thankful. I know I was. minus 7 here this morning and glad I am plugged in. Necessary nope but it makes me feel better and I can tell my rigs turn over easier.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:26 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
just because it starts does not mean it would be easier on the engine and starter if a block heater was used. We have gone over 30 days straight without being above 0F and people who parked inside or had block heaters probably were thankful. I know I was. minus 7 here this morning and glad I am plugged in. Necessary nope but it makes me feel better and I can tell my rigs turn over easier.
I fully undersatand all that.

Quick Reply: block heater