Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

block heater

Old 12-05-2013, 07:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default block heater

so since recently moving to Maine from New York i have noticed its a bit colder up here and i was looking to get some extra protection for my jeep such as an engine block heater. so i have heard on this forum that there are plenty of these jeeps that already have them and may not know it. so i called the dealer from NY and they ran my VIN number and turns out i have one as per the invoice and all. problem is i can not find it. now this jeep is a 2009 i have had it since it was new. i have modded it to the T and i have never seen a plug in my engine bay. so the folks out there that have a factory engine block heater where is the plug hidden or the heater for the block so i can follow the wires? any help would be great thanks in advance
Old 12-05-2013, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

This may help to identify/pinpoint the location
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/75665.pdf
Old 12-05-2013, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have had two jku's and both times the plugs were wound up and located tucked behind the windshield fluid container.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the wire and plug for mine Rolled up and tucked in the space just in front of the battery. I bought my JK used, not knowing it had the block heater on it... I stumbled on it when I was messing around near the battery one day.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 AM
JK Junkie

Mine wash right behind the washer fluid as well. Plugged mine in now as is was 4* and supposed to be like that for the next week
Old 12-05-2013, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just throwing it out there, but with the 3.8 the plug was located near the battery... they moved it with the introduction of the 3.6 Pentastar. OP has a '09 (3.8L)
Old 12-05-2013, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

ok thanks everybody, i guess ill have to do some more looking, im just shocked i've never noticed it if i do in fact have it after having my jeep for well over 4 years. i mean all the electrical work i did installing lights, winches and my RR snorkel or my air horn by the washer fluid. i spent about 30 mins searching around my battery and any wire on the passenger side of the engine looking for it to lead to a plug, i never thought to look around the washer fluid i thinks that's what ill be doing next. i'm not new to the cold weather im used to NY but ME is a bit colder and the windchill gets crazy on the ocean so im looking to get some more care for my jeep. i just got a magnet oil heater and a battery blanket hoping that will help some what getting the jeep a bit warmer before cranking up at -15. anyone have these type of setups on their rig and if so do you notice a difference?
Old 12-05-2013, 12:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by SIDsjeep
i spent about 30 mins searching around my battery and any wire on the passenger side of the engine looking for it to lead to a plug, i never thought to look around the washer fluid i thinks that's what ill be doing next.
Why not look at the side of the engine block?

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-05-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

well sadly after checking out the very helpful instructions from quadratec i do not have an engine block heater, based off the instructions for installing one i dont have one. which leads me to my next concern seen how i called the dealership and they said that my jeep had one and im the only owner for this jeep so i guess ill see what i can do to get one thank you everyone for your help with this issue. well now that i know i dont have one has anyone had any good luck with the autozone magnet oil pan heater does it really help that much? i figured it would be the next big thing to help but i dont know to much about this aspect/
Old 12-05-2013, 01:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

I know a block heater, or oil pan heater, is nice to have, but don't get one thinking it's needed.
The JK will start just fine at -30°F.
Cold starts, while not ideal, don't seem to be a problem with today's engines and oils.

In fact, some people who have them on their JKs have posted about check engine lights coming on because the computer thinks the water temp sensor is reading incorrectly. (It compares water temp, ambient are temp, time since shutdown, etc.)

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-05-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: block heater