Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Block heater

Old 09-10-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block heater

What is better to go with a block heater in the freeze plugs or one that splices into your heater line? How hard are the freeze plugs to get to? Which would be the best option?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

The block heaters are easier to install when you build a motor. You have to remove the exhaust manifold completely to remove the old freeze plug and install the block heater.

The inlines work just fine.

The magnetic oil pan heaters are a waste of money.

I usually put my heater on a timer so it only comes on 4 hours before I need it. Of course if its below 20 degrees I usually leave it on all night.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 PM
JK Jedi

So far my freeze plug heater has been fine. But if it goes, I will NOT run one of those cans in heater hose. They have little "check" balls in them, and when they get older, they can rust and close off the hot water running to your heater which has happened countless times to users. What I have used in the past, and still have on on our Taurus, is the inline lower radiator hose heater. Clean install, nothing to block off water flow, and they work great...!!!

BTW....Here in AK. even though they do say to plug in at 20, most people up here don't plug in till it's close to zero. Hell, we'd burn the damn things up if we ran it at 20 all the time. And if your rig won't start up at 20.....well, there's somethin' wrong.

Quick Reply: Block heater