Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Blew a BF Goodrich KM on the trail and need advice on tires

Old 05-24-2010, 06:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPop
For me that would be the key deciding factor, as a fiscally responsible decision would be a better one than any performance upgrade. Buy a used tire, get a single KM replacement tire or even an AT tire to use as a spare until you have the cash. Lots of MT tires currently on backorder anyway, which might push a bad decision into a worse one.

On the tires, and actually knowing where you live, the MTRs are going to prove to be a very difficult tire to use in the winter. The large voids and large minimally siped lugs are going to be an issue plowing through all the snow you get.

Again, and the reason I posted here in the first place is any decision paid for with cash is going to be better than one paid for with plastic.
As tempting as it might be to use 1 blown tire to justify a new set, I have to agree with JPop 100% on this one.

Do it the right way and just buy a used KM to hold you over.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't rule out high tech remolded tires based upon durability. 4 Wheeler magazine tested the Treadwright Ultra-Grip 2 M/Ts and were very impressed. They expected them to last 50,000 miles. These, by the way, are molded onto BFG KO casings.

Considering that these tires cost about half that of new name brand rubber, I'd give them a second look, especially if you plan to use them solely for off road use. For that price, you can afford to buy two spares...

From the article in 4 Wheeler:

"These inexpensive, remanufactured tires are welcome in our on- and off-road world. They work every bit as good as other popular brands for dirt and snow traction and highway stability."

285/70-17 (33.3" diameter according to their website)... under $130 each. So, those on really tight budgets, or in a situation where they plan to upgrade in the near future, a set like these may be a viable, short term alternative.

Last edited by Widewing; 05-24-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Added image
Old 05-24-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy has 31'' treadwrights on his wj and he has had no problems with them
Old 05-24-2010, 07:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running the KM2's but leaning towards the Goodyear MTRs with kevlar as well. Love the Toyo's but man are they heavy...I'd go with the 35's JMHO!

Quick Reply: Blew a BF Goodrich KM on the trail and need advice on tires