Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Blew a BF Goodrich KM on the trail and need advice on tires

Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blew a BF Goodrich KM on the trail and need advice on tires

I went wheeling with my club this past weekend and tore a 3 inch gash in my sidewall of my 32 inch KM. I dont really want to replace it with the same thing because I was planning on getting tires this fall or next spring and going with 34s or 35s. seems stupid to buy a brand new tire when I want to replace them soon.

I am thinking about just getting out the credit card and getting new tires now instead of saving up cash for them like I wanted to do.

I need a tire that will hold up on the rocks. I am thinking of getting 5 Goodyear MTRs with kevlar in 34 inch size and running them during the wheeling season and use the 4 good KMs for the winter. The other option I was considering is getting 5 Swamper LTBs in 34x10.5-16 and getting another set of rims and just using them for wheeling and use the KMs for my DD and getting a cheap retread for a spare.

What do you guys think is the better option? It would be about the same price to do both options. the Jeep is my DD but I wheel the heck out of it as well.

Here is the pic of us changing the tire on the trail. I am operating the highlift.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Blew a BF Goodrich KM on the trail and need advice on tires

The MTRs are great tires but I couldn't find the 34s from anyone. Plus they are RWL in that size

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by crcjk
The MTRs are great tires but I couldn't find the 34s from anyone. Plus they are RWL in that size

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Tirerack said they will be available in a couple of weeks. I may even just go with 35's. I could care less about white letters or no white letters or how it looks. I just do not want it to blow in the rocks. I know that no tire is bulletproof but I want to get as close as possible.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:41 AM
JK Junkie

Instead of putting on the card discount tire has 0% financing
Old 04-26-2010, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

They don't get a lot of love from the JK forum, but I was very impressed with the Trxus MT's I ran on my TJ. I actually replaced BFG MT's with them, and noticed better road manners.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:30 PM
JK Junkie

I second the Trxus tires. I ran them on my XJ and they were tough as nails. I would suggest going up to a 35 inch tire, since you have the lift for it. However, I would be wary of your gear ratio as well.

You could always get some cheap retreads for all four of your tires and run it that way. Or get Hankook RT03, which are cheaper and might be my next set of tires when I move up to 35s.

I also have some left over stock SR-A tires in the same size with wrangler X moab rims if you need them. (only 4 without TPMS) I mention this, since you are nearby. We could work out a price.

EDIT: For the ULTIMATE in toughness. Super Swamper TSL SX would be the best bet, but they are NOT street friendly. I ran trXus and loved the practicality of them, followed by the TSL bias.

Last edited by IcyFridge; 04-26-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
I second the Trxus tires. I ran them on my XJ and they were tough as nails. I would suggest going up to a 35 inch tire, since you have the lift for it. However, I would be wary of your gear ratio as well.

You could always get some cheap retreads for all four of your tires and run it that way. Or get Hankook RT03, which are cheaper and might be my next set of tires when I move up to 35s.

I also have some left over stock SR-A tires in the same size with wrangler X moab rims if you need them. (only 4 without TPMS) I mention this, since you are nearby. We could work out a price.

EDIT: For the ULTIMATE in toughness. Super Swamper TSL SX would be the best bet, but they are NOT street friendly. I ran trXus and loved the practicality of them, followed by the TSL bias.
I dont want to run retreads on all 4 because I would be very concerned they wouldnt hold up. If I am blowing brand new BF goodrich KMs on the rocks, I am pretty sure I will F up the retreads quick. I really want something REALLY durable. If the goodyears are close in strength to Super Swampers as far as sidewall goes I wold rather get them but if not I think I may want to go with the LTB swampers and use my current BF goodrich tires that survived last weekend as my DD tires and only use the swampers to get to events and wheel.

Are the Trxus tires as good as the goodyear with kevlar for rocks and sidewall strength?

I may be interested in buying one SRA if you would be willing to sell only one. Can use it for a spare until I get this figures out. may be we can trade. my front row skid for one SRA. sent you PM about the skid plate.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:18 PM
JK Newbie

I ran the Trxus right after the BFG MT's. I've never run the MTR's, but where I'm from there is at least a little bit of mud on the way to the rocks, which is perfect for the Trxus. When I aired them down on the rocks they were just boring, because they never seemed to lose traction. I've also never heard of someone tearing a sidewall in them. Shockingly they had less road noise than the BFG's. They also run very true to size, unlike the BFG's. Much better wet traction on the road. They fly under the radar a little bit, and don't receive the attention of the KM2's or MTR's, but you won't find too many people that have run them and not been impressed.

In fact, if I was to find any negative in them it would be that they are heavy and hard to balance, which i consider a trade off of a tougher tire.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:28 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
I am thinking about just getting out the credit card and getting new tires now instead of saving up cash for them like I wanted to do.
For me that would be the key deciding factor, as a fiscally responsible decision would be a better one than any performance upgrade. Buy a used tire, get a single KM replacement tire or even an AT tire to use as a spare until you have the cash. Lots of MT tires currently on backorder anyway, which might push a bad decision into a worse one.

On the tires, and actually knowing where you live, the MTRs are going to prove to be a very difficult tire to use in the winter. The large voids and large minimally siped lugs are going to be an issue plowing through all the snow you get.

Again, and the reason I posted here in the first place is any decision paid for with cash is going to be better than one paid for with plastic.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have super swamper ltbs on my jk and they are indestructable i have gashs in the side walls you can put your finger in and i drive 40 miles a day to and from work at highway speed if you can afford them buy them they are great offroad too i go where ever my club pres goes and he has 38.5 iroks on his dodge 4lo and go

Quick Reply: Blew a BF Goodrich KM on the trail and need advice on tires