Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Black Diamond, Teraflex or Skyjacker?

Old 01-19-2008, 11:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Black Diamond, Teraflex or Skyjacker?

Ok Jeepers, I need some opinions! So drop your normally even-handed, open-minded, style and let em rip.

My next mod will be a lift. I'm looking for 2.5 - 3". The JK is my daily driver, so I don't want to go much further. But, I want to be able to clear some moderate trails, and am dillusional enough to believe I'll hit the rubicon next spring. (living in NoCal, it's just sitting up there taunting me!).

Anyway, I've been looking and drooling almost a year, and it's down to 3 finalists. But I can't make up my mind.

Should I go with:

1. Black Diamond 3" lift for the 4-door plus purchase replacement shocks - ~$600

2. Teraflex 3" JK lift complete with shocks - ~$700

3. SkyJacker 2.5" Supension Lift kit + purchase nitro shocks - ~$460

Anyone have experience with each of these?

thanks!
Old 01-19-2008, 11:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Someone else may be able to verify.. But I know with my TeraFlex 3" for my TJ it was more like a 4" lift. A lot of people said that about Teraflex. In fact when I went up to the Teraflex 4" system I didn't see a big difference. That was a few years ago though so they may have changed by now.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Budget lifts get bigger tires under you but come at a cost, they dont ride that well. Think about adding control arms (front) to increase caster and improve handling. Then think about adj track bars to replace any axle mounted relocation brackets. Just my opinion.

If you are gonna go with Skyjacker, make sure you add the rear axle track bar bracket strenthening bracket. Otherwise you are just waitng for your bracket to rip off while cruising at 70mph.Many have already. Not Good!

I have the Full Traction ultimate lift. I can't believe that didn't make your list. I did start out with the Economy like yourself, but only because that's all that was available at the time. I added the rest of the components as they came out. Each item improves the ride a little bit more.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Budget lifts get bigger tires under you but come at a cost, they dont ride that well. Think about adding control arms (front) to increase caster and improve handling. Then think about adj track bars to replace any axle mounted relocation brackets. Just my opinion.

If you are gonna go with Skyjacker, make sure you add the rear axle track bar bracket strenthening bracket. Otherwise you are just waitng for your bracket to rip off while cruising at 70mph.Many have already. Not Good!

I have the Full Traction ultimate lift. I can't believe that didn't make your list. I did start out with the Economy like yourself, but only because that's all that was available at the time. I added the rest of the components as they came out. Each item improves the ride a little bit more.
Thanks Rubimon,

SkyJackr had fallen off the list previously based on that. But, when i wrote the post tonight I couldn't remember why I had taken it off the list! (sucks to be getting old ).

I had put Full Traction in the "premium lift" bucket with RE, etc... , aka those over $1k, and therefore out of budget -> I was hoping to avoid going down the control arm and track bars path.

sb
Old 01-20-2008, 01:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No matter which budget lift you go with the price you will pay is the ride. I mostly mean handling/steering, not comfort. This is do to the decrease in caster from lifting. You did mention it is your daily driver. There will be some that say they like the budget lifts and have no problems, but there will be many that agree with me. Just wanted you to be prepared with all the facts before you went through with the lift.

FT makes an economy lift that falls in the $700 range with shocks. You can add other components only if you feel the need. A front track bar only adds $189 I believe. I suggest working with Dave from Northridge 4x4, he will answer any questions you have about the different lifts. When you call them, you speak to Dave, not an uniformed sales person!
Old 01-20-2008, 01:53 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

I installed Skyjacker 2.5" Standard Lift Kits with Nitro Shocks,Skyjacker Heavy Duty Steering Stabilizer and Skyjacker Standard Lift. I like it That The kind behavior was reserved The fixture in the drive even was raised in a loop.
Its tyres that exist 265/75/16 look really little with that suspension.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:55 AM
JK Freak

I've got a 4" skyjacker lift in mine. I got the lift, nitro shocks, drop pitman arm, and steering stabilizer for around $1000. I've been happy with it, but it probably doesn't get the abuse some guys dish out( not very many rocks to climb in the mid-west). I knew when I bought it, it wasn't the best lift out there, but its served my purpose well. I will admit that Rubimon is right, the ride is as good as stock, but handling/steering did suffer a little. I realize your not looking for a 4" lift, but I thought I would give you my experience with a Skyjacker lift.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:15 AM
JK Newbie

I ordered (From Quadratec) a Superlift 2" with Shocks for $260. I did not measure but I am sure that I got a little more than 2". I also ordered the TF Discos and will install them today. I ordered the Sahara with a towing package and I did not want to risk changing the spring rate. Also the 18" stock tires still look pretty good, but I do want to go with a 33" tire in the future. I looked at everything and the SL was the best value imo. I also have the exact ride as before.

Have fun with it!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Black Diamond 3" and I have done some messed up off roading in it. Suspension works GREAT and hasn't failed me yet
Old 01-20-2008, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, it is also closer to 4" on the JK. I confirmed it with TF.

Originally Posted by Evan JK
Someone else may be able to verify.. But I know with my TeraFlex 3" for my TJ it was more like a 4" lift. A lot of people said that about Teraflex. In fact when I went up to the Teraflex 4" system I didn't see a big difference. That was a few years ago though so they may have changed by now.

Quick Reply: Black Diamond, Teraflex or Skyjacker?