Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bilstein steering stabilizer help

Old 04-11-2011, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein steering stabilizer help

I recently installed a Bilstein steering stabilizer and it is pulling to the left only when I take my hands off the steering wheel. Does anyone have any input on the problem ... I know these are gas charged and don't have any release valves.

I called Bilstein and they had really bad customer service. The rep told me it will always pull and this isn't the product for me and I should return it. I heard there maybe a fix for the problem tho plus I want my stabilizer to match my shocks.

If I need to move my bracket would anyone know how much and in what direction.

Any suggestions will help. Thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

I have the same problem with several thousand miles on mine. I had the alignment cheked after I installed it and was in spec. It is driving me nuts too.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're a gas charged shock, the push will be there until the shock goes bad or you get used to it. It helped my right hand radial pull, so I'm happy.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Super Freak

I didnt notice that with mine. I am happy with it.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Have you adjusted it to see if this changes if it's lengthend or shortened?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just posted the same issue a couple days ago. I hope it goes away as time goes on or I'm going to replace it with something else.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:33 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
They're a gas charged shock, the push will be there until the shock goes bad or you get used to it. It helped my right hand radial pull, so I'm happy.
what mkjeep said, they are gas charged shocks that want to push out.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't noticed any pull with mine, but I can say I feel a lot less steering feedback when hitting bumps with 35's than when I had 32's and a TF stabilizer. I like the Bilstein so far.

I am comparing apples to oranges though since now I have a complete well engineered suspension system that may be the reason for the better road manners.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just put a bilstein stabilizer on and noticed a very slight push to the left. Very very minor and I have significantly less steering/tire vibration vs stock before. I'm running 35s
Old 04-13-2011, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kaneveo
I recently installed a Bilstein steering stabilizer and it is pulling to the left only when I take my hands off the steering wheel. Does anyone have any input on the problem ... I know these are gas charged and don't have any release valves.

I called Bilstein and they had really bad customer service. The rep told me it will always pull and this isn't the product for me and I should return it. I heard there maybe a fix for the problem tho plus I want my stabilizer to match my shocks.

If I need to move my bracket would anyone know how much and in what direction.

Any suggestions will help. Thanks
Hi
It's not the Bilstein but I have the Fox steering stabilizer on mine and had the same issue, if you lower the pressure in the shock from about 50 to 40 psi it should do the trick, at least it did in mine,
It would help if you have someone with a nitrogen gas gauge to measure the psi in the stabilizer and take some of the pressure off. Take the stabilizer and find out how much pressure it has, lower it to about 50 psi and compress the shock, if the shock tries to expand you still have too much pressure in it, I suggest you lower the pressure to 45 psi and compress it again if it still wants to expand you still have too much pressure , your goal here is to try to bleed enough pressure that when you compress the stabilizer it doesn't want to expand, once the shock stays in place you have dialed in. (this information was obtained from Fox shocks Tech assisstance).
I know its a different shock but if it has a relief valve it, it should work the same
Hope this helps
Reg

Quick Reply: Bilstein steering stabilizer help