Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bilstein Shock Question

Old 02-22-2013, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look like fox shocks. No bump stop add in on the axle
Old 02-22-2013, 03:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i agree....my Bilsteins do not look like that and you should have someone watch your compression while under articulation to see how close the shock is to full compression when the axel reaches the bump stop....looks like you could use a hockey puck epoxied to the axel side

Last edited by jeeperjkjeeper; 02-22-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Did the shop do all the work (lift/ and front end work) or was it two different shops. If I would go to the shop that did last work and have them pay for new shocks and bump stop put back in that came with the bds kit.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by overkilljk
Did the shop do all the work (lift/ and front end work) or was it two different shops. If I would go to the shop that did last work and have them pay for new shocks and bump stop put back in that came with the bds kit.
All work was done at the same shop. As far as I know all is as it was. Everything from the kit is on the jeep. Is there something I'm not seeing or aware of?
Old 02-22-2013, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

You should have two black pucks inside the spring on the axle. About 2 to 3 in tall
Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default Wild guess

Can you feel any welding spatter on the exposed shaft of the shocks? Maybe some rough spots chewed up the seals.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by twinz33

A local shop. I would rather not name it, my intention is not to spread bad word of them. I don't feel this is shop error. The shop has always treated me great and I've seen a lot of great work come from them. When I take it back to them for the repair I will find out more.... How this happened and how to prevent it ect ect.. Just looking for advice here or anyone who may have experienced this themselves
Sorry I don't mean to imply I was asking the shops name. Just if you did it or a shop. The shop will be able to take care if you. IMHO they either forgot to add longer bumpstops/extensions, the wrong shock size/lengths were installed, or you have defective shocks. All should be covered by whoever made the mistake in the process.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by overkilljk
You should have two black pucks inside the spring on the axle. About 2 to 3 in tall
Did a search and i see now. Def will get this done especially when I move to 37s
Old 02-23-2013, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mason2314
Can you feel any welding spatter on the exposed shaft of the shocks? Maybe some rough spots chewed up the seals.
Checked that this morning and everything is smooth and normal from what I can tell. Just oil leaking out of the bottom
Old 02-23-2013, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by COStrider
Sorry I don't mean to imply I was asking the shops name. Just if you did it or a shop. The shop will be able to take care if you. IMHO they either forgot to add longer bumpstops/extensions, the wrong shock size/lengths were installed, or you have defective shocks. All should be covered by whoever made the mistake in the process.
Misunderstanding Im taking the jeep Friday to the shop and I will get with them about the springs and bumpstops. See if something has been over looked

Quick Reply: Bilstein Shock Question