Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bilstein Shock Question

Old 02-22-2013, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bilstein Shock Question

What would cause both my front shocks to bust at the same time?

Let me start with saying i recently had work done...

- 4.88 fr an rear gears
- synergy ball joints
- upgraded u-joints and chormoly front axles ( d30 )
- c-gussets
- sleeves

All this was done around 500 or so miles ago....

Before these upgrades my jeep has had 3in BDS lift w/Bilstein shocks, BDS front adj track bar. Pro-Comp 17x9s, Toyo MT 35x12.50. Very basic and around 33k miles up to this point.

Now after getting the front axle worked on, i did the basic driving ( no offroad ) break in for the gears and I go in to have the gear oil changed out and im told my front shocks are both busted. Oil from them has been going everywhere..

So, are these shocks just finally wore out? Note this jeep is a daily and has seen maybe 5 modest off road days since the shocks were installed.. Or... Is there something causing this problem im unaware of and needs to be addressed before replacing the shocks only to have this happen again soon down the road?

Any help would be great!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are they the 5100's?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twinz33

- 4.88 fr an rear gears
- synergy ball joints
- c-gussets
- sleeves

Before these upgrades my jeep has had 3in BDS lift w/Bilstein shocks, BDS front adj track bar. Pro-Comp 17x9s, Toyo MT 35x12.50. Very basic and around 33k miles up to this point.

Now after getting the front axle worked on, i did the basic driving ( no offroad ) break in for the gears and I go in to have the gear oil changed out and im told my front shocks are both busted. Oil from them has been going everywhere..

So, are these shocks just finally wore out? Note this jeep is a daily and has seen maybe 5 modest off road days since the shocks were installed.. Or... Is there something causing this problem im unaware of and needs to be addressed before replacing the shocks only to have this happen again soon down the road?

Any help would be great!

I have basically the same lift, gears, and its a six speed. Have probably 60k on the shocks, still going strong. not aware of anything as you described.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

It could be that you don't have enough bump stop and at some point you bottomed them out hard and damaged them. You want your bump stops to control up travel limit, not your shocks. CM
Old 02-22-2013, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by twinz33

- 4.88 fr an rear gears
- synergy ball joints
- c-gussets
- sleeves

Any help would be great!
Who installed this lift?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by F200
It could be that you don't have enough bump stop and at some point you bottomed them out hard and damaged them. You want your bump stops to control up travel limit, not your shocks. CM
The kit has the recommended bump stop extensions. I don't see it doing this on flat pavement maybe? And it's been months since it was last offroad
Old 02-22-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gman*2007
Are they the 5100's?
I'm not sure. They have BDS logos only but I'm told they are the 5100s. I know BDS no longer offers these. And in place offer the Fox 2.0
Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by COStrider

Who installed this lift?
A local shop. I would rather not name it, my intention is not to spread bad word of them. I don't feel this is shop error. The shop has always treated me great and I've seen a lot of great work come from them. When I take it back to them for the repair I will find out more.... How this happened and how to prevent it ect ect.. Just looking for advice here or anyone who may have experienced this themselves
Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJeep09

I have basically the same lift, gears, and its a six speed. Have probably 60k on the shocks, still going strong. not aware of anything as you described.
If this happened to yours, you would know. Oil everywhere underneath. I'm surprised how much actually is packed in a shock. I need to show pics, will do that asap
Old 02-22-2013, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is where the leak is from the bottom, the shock itself and the bumpstops. If these pics load....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-467761061.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	425481   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2541401535.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	425482   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-166486215.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	47.6 KB