Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bilstein HD steering Stabilizer, Should I get one?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein HD steering Stabilizer, Should I get one?

I was thinking that I might get an aftermarket SS. I am wondering, other than the super sexy look of the bilstein SS, is there a dramatic improvement in drive quality? I will probably end up getting one to dress up the jeep anyways, I was just wanting to justify the money spent
Old 06-14-2012, 02:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you like the way it looks, go for it! There won't be any performance gains as all steering stabilizers are equal.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

If your going just for looks...might as well get the dual SS set up.....while pretty pointless it is sexy looking
Old 06-14-2012, 03:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OH9JK
If you like the way it looks, go for it! There won't be any performance gains as all steering stabilizers are equal.
Not quite... Gas charged/non-gas charged, shaft thickness... There are several 'ranges' in quality and durability across mfg.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubbacon
Not quite... Gas charged/non-gas charged, shaft thickness... There are several 'ranges' in quality and durability across mfg.
That is marketing hype...a properly setup suspension system can run without a steering stabilizer.

You will not "feel" any difference between the OEM SS and an aftermarket SS.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is marketing hype...a properly setup suspension system can run without a steering stabilizer.

This is not true. The bilstein is charged so you will have a slight pull to the left . You need to be aware of this as some people hate that .

David
Old 06-15-2012, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

While its not a necessary and immediate upgrade there is a definite difference in front end "feel" with the bilstien SS. Like Dave said it will pull slightly to the left, but it's hardly noticeable IMHO. While I'm no expert in dampeners, the charged SS seems to handle wheel bumps from pot holes quicker and feels tighter. The rest of my suspension is stock with the exception of rubi 19/59 coils and 33s. There was no flighty feeling prior to the upgrade. I'd say the better valving on the SS allows it to dampen bumps quicker than stock.

Of course this could also be me just mentally justifying a new part it looks cool tho!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OH9JK

Sorry, but you are 100% incorrect. The Fox "newer" version is light years ahead of the factory stabilizer. With 37's there is no wander, no pulling from side-side on crowned roads. No pavement grabbing when roads have different levels do to construction. In fact, the OEM and the Fox arent even in same ballpark..
Old 06-16-2012, 12:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

So, I threw the new steering stabilizer on my vehice yesterday morning. Seems to make the steering feel a little tighter and handle the railroad tracks a little better. Its one of those things that the differences are so subtle, you kinda wonder if its all in your head or not?? Iuld have to say that it feels a little sturdier than the stock one,. And I get the quality, reliability and looks that the bilstein has
Old 06-16-2012, 03:15 AM
JK Newbie

Heres my take...I had a 2011 Rubi, besides the horrible engine, the BFG KM2's were noisy as hell, and the Jeep wandered on crowned roads etc. I decided to get a 2012 Sport and the engine is light years beyond the 3.8, however, it still wandered a bit with the stock Wrangler SRA tires. I just a had a Teraflex 2.5" coil lift with Bilsteins shocks installed, with a Teraflex HD steering Stabilizer, Grade 8 bolt kit,-NO NOISE, NO WANDERING, period. I do attribute some most of that to the steering stabilzer. For $50, its worth it.

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD steering Stabilizer, Should I get one?