Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bilstein Dilemma

Old 04-23-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein Dilemma

- Looking for any experience or suggestions on a new shock purchase, searched the forum but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Currently have 2.5" coil lift on my 2dr auto w/35's (well KM2..) and realize the correct 5160 for my rig is the 1.5-3" Front and 2" Rear, but because I plan to get into a 3.5 RK lift down the road I am curious if anyone has purchased the longer 5160 shocks that were meant for 3.5" kits and higher and installed them on their 2.5". Any concerns going this route? Here's my thoughts; I assume the risk of bottoming out is imminent, adding a 2" bump stop front and rear could help with this...? and not sure if spring retainers would be required. . I'm currently rubbing on the stock fenders at full flex which the way it is, but next on the mod list is a fender mod or new flatties..Just curious if anyone's run this type of set up or have experience that could lead me down the correct path here. If it's not recommended I'll have to buy the longer shocks down the road with the new SL, just wanting to avoid spending extra $$. Thanks
Old 04-23-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go with longer shocks you could un seat your springs and that could be bad on the trail and overextend your break lines.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running bilstein 5160's with my 4 in Teraflex lift and there a great set up. I also have flat fender flares which add all kinda of room for flexibility. Bilstein is a good brand and worth the extra penny!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think you are on the right track. You should compare the collapsed shock lengths with your current shock lengths to understand how much bumpstop you will need to avoid bottoming out. It sounds like you want more bumpstop anyway due to hitting the fenders until you trim them. I would then get spring retainers, extended brake lines, and possibly limiting straps for extra protection against springs popping out. If you buy the adjustable front bumpstops (JKS?) that would save you some time and headache while dialing them in. There are a ton of extended brakeline options. I haven't looked too much into limiting straps, but I am assuming they are pretty cheap, relatively, it is a jeep

Last edited by Beau; 04-23-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

yep go with straps

Quick Reply: Bilstein Dilemma