Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bilstein 5160s........

Old 06-04-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein 5160s........

Hey guys need some help. Im bout to install a Teraflex 1.5 performance leveling kit on my 10 Unlimited Sport. Question is can I run the Bilstein 5160 on the front and back. I know the front is for 1.5-3 inches of lift,but the back ones say for jeep with 2 inches of lift. Now the leveling kit lifts the rear 1 inch. Is that going to be a problem for the shocks in the rear?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, I just purchased a Teraflex 1.5" performance leveling kit (coils) for my 2010 2-door Sport. I went with OME shocks, I've had these before and really liked them. After explaining the situation Northridge sent me # N196 and N198. I trust Northridge but have seen websites describe these being for a 2 inch lift so I sort of share your concern.

Haven't installed yet, this will be a major job for me...
Let's keep each other informed.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tails
Hey man, I just purchased a Teraflex 1.5" performance leveling kit (coils) for my 2010 2-door Sport. I went with OME shocks, I've had these before and really liked them. After explaining the situation Northridge sent me # N196 and N198. I trust Northridge but have seen websites describe these being for a 2 inch lift so I sort of share your concern.

Haven't installed yet, this will be a major job for me...
Let's keep each other informed.
I will def keep you informed. It doesnt seem like big difference but im no pro.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

you guys should be fine. for the guy installing 5160's on a leveling kit, why waste your money? just run ome or bilistiens 5100's and call it a day.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
you guys should be fine. for the guy installing 5160's on a leveling kit, why waste your money? just run ome or bilistiens 5100's and call it a day.
if i was paying regular price i wouldnt get them. A guy i know said they fell off the back of a truck somewhere. Couldnt let an early Christmas gift pass me by. lol
Old 07-08-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, I got the Teraflex 1.5 Performance Leveling Kit mounted with Old Man Emu shocks. The ride is much like stock but a little bit firmer, which is what I wanted.
No problems with the shocks on the road.
Off road with full articulation remains to be tested.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi Karl

I would love to help you, but measuring is kind of hard. I live in the hills and it's very hard to find a level piece of ground on the streets around the neighborhood. Also I don't have an inch tape measure ... stupid foreigner

Anyway, I was using the stock coils for a 2010 2-door JK Sport hardtop auto, no tow package or anything like that. This would probably be one of the weakest coils, I imagine. As you know I switched to the Teraflex 1.5" 2-door coils, actually more like 2" front and 1" rear. They are longer but also a little stiffer and hopefully better able to take sag, once I get my ARB bumper mounted.

From center wheel to bottom lip of wheelwell (the real bottom, which is a little lower than the visible curve) is:
left front: 57,5 cm which is 22.64 inch
left rear: 52 cm which is 20.47 inch
right front: 55,5 cm which is 21.85 inch
right rear: 54 cm which is 21.26 inch

You need to average that a bit since obviously I wasn't level. Also I don't have measurements from when it was new with the stock coils.
So there you go, hope it helps.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Graceman
Hey guys need some help. Im bout to install a Teraflex 1.5 performance leveling kit on my 10 Unlimited Sport. Question is can I run the Bilstein 5160 on the front and back. I know the front is for 1.5-3 inches of lift,but the back ones say for jeep with 2 inches of lift. Now the leveling kit lifts the rear 1 inch. Is that going to be a problem for the shocks in the rear?
You can run the 2" 5160 in the rear but it specs out about .23" longer compressed than a factory shock, so you would need a very small extended bumpstop to be safe. Something under 1", which I don't think anyone even makes, but something like gluing a hockey puck or piece of .25" steel plate to the factory axle bump stop would do it.

Bilstein 5160 BR5-G720-H0 (Also called 25-187663,or the 2" Rear) Collapsed: 14.92 Extended: 25.0 Travel: 10.1"

Stock Rubicon Collapsed: 14.69" Extended: 22.56" Travel: 7.9"

Last edited by Biginboca; 07-13-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5160s........