Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bilstein 5150 vs 5160

Old 02-03-2012 | 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Bilstein 5150 vs 5160

As the title says, whats the difference between these two? Is one better than the other? I know better is relative, I've heard good things about the 5100 series, and I'm looking for a nice flexy shock that will offer a comfortable, but firm ride. Wheeling needs are new england style wheeling and rock crawling! but it also needs to be able to get me to and from work and handle the highway
Old 02-03-2012 | 07:03 AM
JK-Forum Founder

i have no experience with either but for your purposes, i would think that a basic set of 5100's would be all that you need.
Old 02-03-2012 | 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

WoL, since I got my springs from you (the 4" OMEs), what length do you recommend? I was looking at the 12" travel setup (17/29 collapsed expanded), but i'm not sure if that's too much? I want as much flex as I can get, but obviously I don't want to have to be chasing my springs all over the trail
Old 02-03-2012 | 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RubiBus
$20 spring retainer clips can solve that problem. And for the record......I actually watched a TJ drop both rear springs, onr right after the other, on the trail in front of me this past Labor Day weekend. She had no clue until we made her stop where she was. Luckily, though, she was in just the right position with the right flex to where we could just pop them back in. She exited the trails at the next exit point that day.
heh yeah I got some rear clips, and I guess I'm not too worried about the front, since I literally can't lower my front axle enough due to the exhaust crossover. So I guess not too much to be worried about. That being said.... how should I go about picking a size shock then?
Old 02-03-2012 | 04:07 PM
JK Super Freak

so proper size, anyone? i know there are a billion different sizes, i assume theres no real such thing as too big, and that i just want to watch out for over compression, but I have no idea what that would be. for reference, I have the teraflex upper bump stop extensions, which appear to each be just over 2" of extra bump stop

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5150 vs 5160