Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bilstein 5100 Shocks worth it??

Old 01-08-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilstein 5100 Shocks worth it??

So i just ordered my RK 2.5 kit to replace my current 2" spacer kit with my rubi suspension. I am currently running the faculty rubi shocks with shock extenders and planned to keep these when I install the new lift. My question is would the ride be noticeably better if I went with a set of bilstein 5100's when I install the new lift. Not really worried about the shock travel atm, just trying to get the ride tuned in nicely. Im running 35 MTR's winch bumpers and a full size spare, so I do have some extra weight. Thx for any advice!!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they made a huge difference on my teraflex 2.5" lift. Started out with the extenders...
Old 01-08-2014, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

I don't have any personal experience with them, so take this for what it's worth, but EVERYTHING I've read would indicate they're a night-and-day difference over most other lifts' standard offerings.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

I have seen some people have problems with them but from personal experience, I have had not problems and I like them a lot!
Old 01-08-2014, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

I'm running a 2.5" Teraflex coil lift plus 1" spacers, 35" Duratracs, full spare and heavy front and rear bumpers. I was running the extensions for a while and it was "fine" but the Bilstein 5100s made a huge difference to me! The ride itself isn't a huge change, but the control, braking dive, acceleration squat, etc. really is night and day. I'd say they're worth every penny!!

Maybe your problem is in the faculty Rubicon shocks, though! just kidding! Good luck!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Not that happy

I have 5160s and they have just been ok. I regret not going with Fox or King when I made the switch. I had one ship that was leaking and another went bad after a couple years.

I just got the Fox ATS (SS) and am a huge fan. The adjustment thing is really cool. May be a gimmick, but really resonates with me. When I was looking for shocks a few years ago, adjustables were not getting a lot of attention (when I did the research). Was more of the minivan crowd wanting a Cadillac-like ride.

But today, after the Fox ATS, I am definitely going to try some adjustable shocks. I can really notice the ATS (at the extreme settings) and think adjustable shocks would be really cool. DD has one setting... rocks has another. I could use a better ride. Running 37s right now and it's a significantly different feel than even 35s.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've driven my friends 2013 Rubi with stock shocks and I like the ride much better on my 5100s. I had one develop a leak after 20k miles but they are replacing it under warranty.
They've been over the Rubicon and some tough stuff in Moab and Big bear without a problem.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
So i just ordered my RK 2.5 kit to replace my current 2" spacer kit with my rubi suspension. I am currently running the faculty rubi shocks with shock extenders and planned to keep these when I install the new lift. My question is would the ride be noticeably better if I went with a set of bilstein 5100's when I install the new lift. Not really worried about the shock travel atm, just trying to get the ride tuned in nicely. Im running 35 MTR's winch bumpers and a full size spare, so I do have some extra weight. Thx for any advice!!

How much more lift did u get with the RK?? I've got the spacers also and want to go to the 2.5 flex.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

I have these shocks and have been very impressed so far, given the choice and the budget, Fox shocks are better but the 5100s are serving me well
Old 01-08-2014, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

Installing my RE 2.5 Coil Lift w/ 5100's tomorrow. What kind of ride difference can I expect going from the stock setup?

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100 Shocks worth it??