Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bilstein 5100 shocks tight fit!

Old 11-27-2019, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein 5100 shocks tight fit!

Changing the rear shocks on my JKU and the RC on it came off with no issues...go to put on the new Bilsteins and noticed a slight clearance issue with the factory mount and the metal sleeve In the bushing. After a little persuading of the shock mount with some channel locks I got them to go in the mount. Tried to slide the factory bolt through and it would not fit no matter how I tried.....I believe it’s a 1/2 in. so I decided to try a slightly smaller 7/16 shouldered bolt and it fit right it. Will I have any issues with the 7/16? Also they are grade 5 but I think I will swap them for grade 8.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I got Bilsteins and they fit like a glove. Used the factory bolts as well. Did your supplier give you the correct ones.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
I got Bilsteins and they fit like a glove. Used the factory bolts as well. Did your supplier give you the correct ones.
I believe so. After checking several different websites, they all have the same part no. as I have. Also came across a review of someone that had the same issue as mine. I did get them to fit but my main concern is if I will have any issue with the 7/16 bolt when it had 1/2 from the factory?
Old 11-28-2019, 05:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I'd go back to the 1/2" bolt and try it again. Confirm it fits through the sleeve first. It's likely just that the shock is so strong it's making it difficult to line up, especially if you have to twist the bushing just a tad to get the rears in place. I would not want to use a bolt that is undersized by 1/16" myself.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I had to bend the rear brackets slightly outward to get my rear OME shocks to fit. Always wondered about this. The bolt isn't the issue but rather the metal sleeve that is rounded that sticks out. It's like it isn't wide enough.

Because of this on mine I grease the hell outta the rear bolt inside the bushing. I had one get stuck last time and it's not fun.

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100 shocks tight fit!