Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Billstien Shock help please

Old 11-22-2012, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Billstien Shock help please

Hello, I know everyone has there preference but I have been impressed by the Bilstien Shock line. My problem is one of a few,

1. I have a lift put on by the factory, Ruby Express. Its been over 50k, time to start replacing. The shocks I wanted (Billstien) are 1.5-3.5 inch lift and 4 - 6 inch lift

2. I have a 3.5, the Rubi express springs are wrong, there from a 2 door rather than 4 door. So, once I replace them I will be at 3.5 to 4 inch.

Could I just get the higher lift shocks since there only .5 inches off? That way, I get a smoother ride now, plus when they replace my springs Im ok? or do I stay with the smaller travel shocks?

Other shocks cover ranges from 2-6 but for some reason Billstein has two seperate ones for the 5100 series. I like the warranty. I havent had great luck with ranchero, and I work in a parts store and can get these dirt cheap. If I put the bigger shocks, longer travel will that hurt anything?

If im confusing I am sorry, I have two choices, 2-3.5 or 4-6 shocks in the 5100 series and I dont want to go to low or too high. Someone told me today the longer travel would be ok, I just wont use that much of the shock. When I drop the sway bar the travel will be there. Just need advise.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend that you reach out to the vendors on this forum to get their take on the right fit for your application. I highly recommend David @ Northridge 4x4. Excellent Customer Service, and they run what they sell on thier rigs.

Good luck with your build.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me personally id put the longer travel ones in.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORW(off-road warehouse) has a thread on here for a special on bilstein and fox shocks. I just received mine last week great deal
Old 11-22-2012, 05:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Similar issue I was just dealing with. I just swapped out my 1.5"-3" Bilstein 5100's for Fox 2.0 remote res for 4"-6" lifts. My lift is between 3.25-3.5", so I wanted to be sure I was getting the most travel out of it. Given, depending on your set up, longer brake lines and bump extensions etc may be needed to accomodate the longer travel. I talked with Dave @ northridge about how much extra travel I was looking for to use with my 3.25" lift, he felt as I did that it will work fine with longer shocks than what the lift calls for, other than you may need extensions here or there depending on what parts you do or do not already have. More flex and travel are the big point up for me. I was originally looking at Bilstein 5160's, but Dave said hands down fox will out perform, so far he has been very correct. On a side note, I loved the Bilstein 5100's, I just needed more travel and wanted more sensitive dampening so I moved to the Fox 2.0 piggy backs

Last edited by k0260; 11-22-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Billstien Shock help please