Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bikini Tops, mesh or not?

Old 08-19-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks to a great find on the JK for sale board,,,,,,,

I now have a mesh bikini top and a safari type top. the mesh is a GODSEND for the daily heat of the sun. I have Lupus, and am supposed to "avoid" the sun as much as possible,,,,,but hey I also have a Jeep (the fine line between "sickness & Jeep,,,I mean health). So with 85 SPF and the mesh top,,,,,top down offers a great way to avoid the burning sun. However, since I have no place to store the top, it stays on the jeep, and I might just keep the mesh top, and use the top without the windows,,,it's just about the same thing,,,,,,,
Old 08-24-2009, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

I went with the Bestop Bikini Safari top and love it. I did not choose the Mesh one because I wanted more than just sun protection. I wanted something that would keep me dry in case it rained also.

I've been using it now for about 2 months and the top itself seems to fit well and work well. My only complaint is some flapping in the middle. It bangs on the sound bar so to overcome that I stuff my hat up there and that seems to stop it.

Anyway, love the bikini top and really happy with it.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:50 AM
bkw
JK Freak

I picked up a spiderweb shade top about a month ago and it began to fray at the cuts due to shoddy uneven slicing and wind turbulence. I took the top off and used a small torch to reseal the cut.

To reduce flapping against the soundbar, I stuffed half a beach towel between the top and the soundbar. I'm planning on eventually replacing the towel with some pipe insulation.

It's relatively inexpensive, looks like a tarp, craftsmanship is mediocre but is very functional. I love the way it reduces heat and glare for my kids. I also like the fact that I can keep it on with the soft top. If I were to do it again, I'd try the bulldog.. maybe next year.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

The SpiderWeb ShadeTop sounds pretty nice, and only $60 for the 2-door one.
.allthingsjeep.com/spiderweb-sw1-jk2d.html[/url]

Last edited by mkjeep; 08-24-2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: non sponsor link
Old 08-24-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

Have two door, last summer went with the solid bestop bikini, and I liked it, but I didn't like having a rear passenger sweat it out, so I went with the solid bestop safari bikini, BIG MISTAKE, it is the regular bikini, with about three feet of matierial on the back.
It destroyed itself in a week or two, I couldn't get it to stop flapping. It drove me crazy.
The kicker is, whenever I had a rear passenger, the top would contuniously smack them in the head over and over until the held it.
So, this summer I went with rampage combo mesh top, because #1 it was cheaper #2 it has the option to take the back part off #3 it has pockets in it
The mesh is awesome. You can see out it, I can see the stars at night when I drive home, Even sitting in the parking lot sit in the Jeep and it is 10 to 15 degrees cooler. It has a minor flap, but I can't hear it, so I don't care.
Oh, and the bestop header bar works with the rampage..
It does get wet when it rains, but when you are moving, you barely get wet, unless it is a downpour, then it doesn't matter mesh or not....

Quick Reply: Bikini Tops, mesh or not?