Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bikini Tops, mesh or not?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by sniper41
checked it out and it looks nice BUT do you have a 2 or 4 dr? Site looks like it's for 2 dr only? I only have a soft top and would like this if it'll work. Let me know when you can- thanks!
I have the 4dr version and it works great. We put it on Tuesday afternoon tested it out on the freeway at 75mph great. Then my wife wanted to go out in the Jeep so we put the top back on without removing the spiderweb. Great choice.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Sm_Rubi..... I have the Trektop and Mesh Bikini Top as well..... Since the Trektop comes with its own door surrounds (bar type), how did you get the Mesh bikini top to fit properly. You can't really just go around the roll bar because the door surrounds prevent that. My mesh bikini is installed and looks ok with the doors on, but once you take the doors off you can tell it's not the best fit.

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
We have a Trektop for full coverage, and finally used our Bestop Mesh Bikini for the first time at the So CA newbie run last weekend in blazing 96 degree heat. We loved it. It cut the sun and kept it cool, but still gave that open air feel. We made the 3 hour drive north with the Trektop and quickly took it off, switched out the header, and put on the bikini when we arrived. Left the mesh on for the drive home on the freeway and no flapping whatsoever. We are very happy with it. However, like others said, the downside is not being waterproof. We get marine layer/heavy mist in the early AM, so that first night when we got home we had to throw a car cover over it so as not to turn our dusty interior into mud
Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the mesh all last summer, it cuts the sun a little and feels cooler than the solid tops in this climate (solid seems to hold more heat) also if you have a soft top, pop the windows out and it is pretty close to a solid bikini/safari
Old 05-21-2009, 10:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I would say it depends on the purpose, I live in seattle where it can be sunny one minite and rain the next so I plan on getting bikini for those emergency rain time whe my soft top is removed, I can store it in jeep and if rain comes I can throw it on real quick so I don't get wet. I love having the top removed and don't mind if it flaps so I don't get soaked.
If u are trying to block sun then mesh all the way...
Old 05-21-2009, 10:38 PM
JK Freak

What is a quick detach header...i noticed that some of the tops require it?
Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

We have rain in hawaii too, do any of the bikini tops fit in conjunction with the hard top too or does one have to come off for the other to go on?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:39 PM
JK Newbie

Wink

Originally Posted by style_front
We have rain in hawaii too, do any of the bikini tops fit in conjunction with the hard top too or does one have to come off for the other to go on?
check out the spider web top it might work for what you are looking for and you don't have to take it off to put the top on. I like it, the kids love it.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by islndboynic
check out the spider web top it might work for what you are looking for and you don't have to take it off to put the top on. I like it, the kids love it.
got a Link?
Old 05-29-2009, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re

Ok, I don't post here much, mostly just read, ,,,

Just addressing the flapping , I used pieces of foam pipe insulation, 4 ft. pieces,x 1-1/2", shoved between the sound bar and top, and the rear roll bar and top. (4 door) It's soft, cheap, and does it's job. Actually not sure how many guys do it, but I take off the head rail, fold and roll back the bikini top, tuck it under at the sound bar and have a freedom top,,,
Best top BTW

Dave,
Old 05-29-2009, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DiscoDave
Hey Sm_Rubi..... I have the Trektop and Mesh Bikini Top as well..... Since the Trektop comes with its own door surrounds (bar type), how did you get the Mesh bikini top to fit properly. You can't really just go around the roll bar because the door surrounds prevent that. My mesh bikini is installed and looks ok with the doors on, but once you take the doors off you can tell it's not the best fit.
I have the same combination but have not had a chance to try the mesh top with the Trektop door surrounds. Will it not fit over and around the Trektop door surrounds? They were designed to go around the Mopar door surrounds.

Quick Reply: Bikini Tops, mesh or not?