Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bikini / Safari Tops

Old 09-27-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bikini / Safari Tops

I live in Arizona. So it is now getting the time where air conditioning isn't a must and is great to drop the top.
I have searched the threads about which bikini or safari top would be best for me. I have a 2009 2 door. I LOVE the idea of the Mopar having a built in header that clamps on just like the stock full top. (Why doesn't everyone have it this way? Maybe patents or something?)
Here are a few of my wonders. If I get the Mopar one, and it wears out, can I replace just the fabric, or is the whole "shebang" trash? I have only seen the short top (bikini) in Mopar but would prefer the longer (safari) top that extends over the rear seat area. Does Mopar have the longer one?
In my forum search I read about Bestop coming out with a better version. The post was an older post and I am wondering if the better version is out there and if it applies to the 2 door model. The Mopar brand seems to be about 100 clams more than the Bestop. Is it worth it. I know the "side locks" on the Mopar would be pretty good, but the main thing I like about the Mopar one is the header is connected to the top like the full top is. But the good thing about the others is that you can cheaply add things like a mesh top, full or short top, different brands & styles, etc.
The bottom line is: HELP ME DECIDE!
Old 09-27-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Default Safari

I have the Bestop and love it.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I run the Mopar Sun Bonnet (silly name for their safari top) on my four door. I really like it. It matches the Besttop accessories (Windjammer, Duster) in material. I really like that combo, though the four door Windjammer leaves lots of openings in the back end. Despite claims of a redesign of the Bestop safari top, there still seem to be folks who complain that it flaps and doesn't secure well. BTW: There are two versions of the Mopar Sun Bonnet, one for hardtop owners and one for softtop owners. I have owned both (before I had my softtop I bought the hardtop Sun Bonnet). The hardtop version is an okay fit, but the softtop version (assumes you have the door rails to install) is much better. Here are a few pic's ...

Softtop version (Note door rails are installed)

Hardtop version (note Velcro panel around roll bar to secure from flapping. You can see it best in the third picture, lower right corner)

Old 09-27-2009, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use the bestop safari top on my two door and it gives great coverage to front and rear passengers.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi

I have the sun bonnet and I really enjoy it. I use it april til nov.

Quick Reply: Bikini / Safari Tops