Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bikin Top Help

Old 04-21-2008, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bikin Top Help

Hi guys. I ordered the Smittybilt Extended Bikini Top from 4wd.com, and it did not come with instructions for putting it on. At first I didnt think that this would be a big deal because the whole process seems self explanatory to some extent, but it hasnt worked out that way. I cant figure out how it attaches to the front (i.e. the winshield) for the life of me.

Its probably worth mentioning that I did not order the winshield channel. I have the factory soft top and it seemed as if you only had to do so if you didnt have one.

Is there anybody else running this top that can help me out here? Was I supposed to order the extra channel and didnt realize it?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, here are all of the relevent links:

For the top:
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...41&groupID=711

For the channel:

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=11776
Old 04-21-2008, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well if it helps, I have the Bestop and even though I have a soft top I still needed their channel; the top kind of folds over it and snaps to itself (Bestop anyway). In the description that you posted, the third bullet: "Requires Quick Detach Header part number 90105" would seem to indicate that you need that part. Even my bikini top on my TJ required a separate header. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have got to the header channel. That's the only way it can be attached.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks man. The top basically just comes with button snaps along the front that to me look like they need to snap into a header of some sort, but there isnt anything on the jeep to snap into. I'm assuming that I'll need to pick up the header as well. Considering the fact that the soft top is so easy to take up and down, I'm not sure its worth the extra $50 and the hassle, I might just return it. Seemed like a deal for $76 including shipping for the whole setup.

That whole "These windshield channels are needed for installing Bikini tops if Jeep doesn’t have a factory soft top windshield channel" thing is kind of misleading, as it implies that a factory soft top rig comes with the required equiptment.

Bestop's explanation for their header is much better: "If your vehicle has a factory hardtop or soft top, you will need to purchase a Quick Detach Windshield Channel to keep on your Bikini Top."

Last edited by Doherty45; 04-21-2008 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Bikin Top Help