Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bike Racks

Old 08-12-2007, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Racks

Hello everybody,
I need to mount a bike rack on my Rubi Unlimited for my vacation and I can't seem to find anyone that knows what racks will fit. I thought about using a Thule spare tire mount but it shows you need a wheel with an open center and the Rubi has some sort of Jeep logo cap in the center of the wheel. Does anyone know if you can take out the cap? Or if not what hitch type rack will give enough room so the bikes will fit in them with the spare tire mounted on the tailgate. None of the ones I have seen appear to stick out far enough to miss the spare tire?
I am looking at carrying 2 bikes in case that makes a difference.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:58 PM
JK Junkie

Both Thule and Yakima make racks for bikes that are mounted on the rear tire. They run about $150.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thule what about the center

I like the look of the Thule but it has a center hub that has to go through the center of the spare tire and my spare has a center cap that does not seem to pop out, so unless someone knows how that center cap comes out without tearing up the wheel I hesitate to try to take it out myself?
Old 08-12-2007, 04:16 PM
JK Junkie

This is the Yakima..... No hub thingy.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

The stock jeep center caps are easy to pop out.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

i think the max size tire you can use the thule with is 32". so you'll probably be ok there. if you ever decide to go to larger tires or wheels with more backspacing, the thule rack won't work. personally, i like the thule rack better because its more compact and locks easily. i have the yakima rack because its the only rack that would fit my 35" spare. with that said, it is alot of weight on the door with a 35" spare, rack, and 1 bike. as soon as i can get a tire carrier bumper i'm switching it out.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:24 PM
JK Junkie

If you want to use a hitch mount one, you can always get a hitch extention to make sure it clears the spare. Most places that sell hitches or towing accessories carry them.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hitch Rack

I'm have a Saris T-Rax 4 bike rack that mounts to a 2" receiver:

Hitch pin to vertical bar is a little over 17"

With a hidden hitch 2" receiver (which sticks out a little farther than stock version) and stock 245 tires and 16" AL rims there is about 6 1/2" between the tire and the vertical bar.

Hope this helps - good luck.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Great Info

I will take my spare off and see if the cap pops out, from the outside the cap is in so tight it starts to raise the metal on the wheel when I try to pry it out.
I also will see what is available in extensions for a hitch mount.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll second the Saris T-Rax is the only hitch mount that will clear my rubicon's factory spare. We'll see if that is still true after I put my 35"s on.

Quick Reply: Bike Racks