Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Biggest Rims and Tires that my Jeep can support?

Old 02-23-2016, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biggest Rims and Tires that my Jeep can support?

Thank you in advance for the help.

I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport, I currently have stock rims on it and do not plan on lifting it.
I called the local Jeep dealer to ask them what are the biggest rims and tire combination my Jeep can support without lifting it. Shockingly the Parts manager of the Jeep dealership said he doesnt have the answer.
So here I am asking real Jeep owners for help.

I like the off-road tires look. I am thinking I could be able to get 17s and thick tires and not have to worry about any issues. Does anyone know where I can figure this out? Or does anyone have an answer?

so essentially what I'm asking is what are the various combinations of threads and rim size that my Jeep can support without any issues?

thanks again!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ggwara21
...so essentially what I'm asking is what are the various combinations of threads and rim size that my Jeep can support without any issues...
With no issues? Then the answer is what is on it now. Anytime you modify something, there will always be issues. It just depends on how willing you are to deal with the issues.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you planning on wheeling anytime?

If you trim your fenders or go with flat fenders you should be able to go up to a 35 if you do not plan on wheeling. Where you run into will be in flex. I had 315/75R17 on my Jeep on stock lift and did just fine, but there was some rubbing when I stuffed the front wheels.

As for the size of wheels, some stock Sahara's come with 18 inch wheels. I have even seen 24's on a non lifted Jeep Mall Crawler. The answer lies in just how much money you are willing to pay.

R/
Will
Old 02-23-2016, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going for look without lifting - use 1.5" quality wheel spacers on your stock wheels with skinny 33" tires. Make sure to remove all lock washers on rotor studs. Skinny tires being less than 11" wide or 275x70x? Go with aggressive tread but understand you will decrease mpg due to rolling resistance. You may rub the control arms at full turn but can easily fix this by adjusting the steer stops.

You can place 3/4" puck spring spacers in front only to decrease nose down rake giving the appearance of a lift. This will increase aerodynamic drag though, more mpg loss.

End result: very inexpensive custom lifted look with no lift using all stock springs. Increased track placing wheels further out but still under the fenders. Wider track gives less body roll in turns.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No lift

It depends on how much you want to modify your Jeep. Lots of LCG people on this forum have put 37's on with Just a leveling kit and some Metal cloak fenders. Your going to have to trim the pinch-seam. Probably have to run without front fender liners for the extra .5" of clearance. Also bump stops in the front and rear. You can also do steer stops. or just Run a wheel with 4" of back space
Old 02-23-2016, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

i have a 08 first thing i did before i lifted it was squeeze 33 12.5s on there with a back space. dident have any issues.

this is with the 2 inch puck lift/lvling kit https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Last edited by Lodemite; 02-23-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Biggest Rims and Tires that my Jeep can support?