Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bigger lift- what will i need?

Old 04-04-2014, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
That's why budget builders should stay at 2.5" max. With flat flares and correct bumpstops, they can run 37s. They don't need adjustable trackbars or control arms. They can prioritize funds to regearing and chromoly axle shafts, etc.

To lift a rig 4" correctly is a $2k-$3k cost, plus driveshafts.

Agree totally. I'm running a 5.5" RockKrawler kit and for all the components and reservoir shocks I'm over 3K just in parts and that doesn't include driveshafts, brakelines, or axle bump stops which I had from my previous 4.5" kit. I will say the JK rides and handles beautifully and was a B.I.G huge improvement over my previous 4.5" kit.
But in agreement with your budget comment. I can't even tell you the total I have invested into the axles, gears, locker, bumpers and armor that were some of the first mods done to my JK. When I built my JK I planned each step and even as my JK ages and gains miles, any repairs are always upgrades. I see the temptation that a lot of new JK owner have to take to quicker/cheaper route but ultimately it ends up costing more having to do mods twice and replacing parts with higher quality parts.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
That's why budget builders should stay at 2.5" max. With flat flares and correct bumpstops, they can run 37s. They don't need adjustable trackbars or control arms. They can prioritize funds to regearing and chromoly axle shafts, etc.

To lift a rig 4" correctly is a $2k-$3k cost, plus driveshafts.
Just to clarify, I have Rancho RS9000s for 4" of lift, a RK rear track bar, teraflex bumpstops in hand. I plan on ordering the Rock Krawler 3.5" Flex, and their front uppers as well to correct caster/pinion.
JK 3.5 Flex System

That actually brings me over 2k, plus the DS in a month or two. I know price isn't the real deciding factor, just a comparison tool to your post. Is there anything else you recommend? Sorry for the hijack. I'm pulling the rest of my hair out over this lift.

Last edited by Krawlersaur; 04-04-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Krawlersaur
Just to clarify, I have Rancho RS9000s for 4" of lift, a RK rear track bar, teraflex bumpstops in hand. I plan on ordering the Rock Krawler 3.5" Flex, and their front uppers as well to correct caster/pinion.
JK 3.5 Flex System

That actually brings me over 2k, plus the DS in a month or two. I know price isn't the real deciding factor, just a comparison tool to your post. Is there anything else you recommend? Sorry for the hijack. I'm pulling the rest of my hair out over this lift.
If money is not an issue, why not going with the X-Factor wich is a more complete kit ?
Old 04-04-2014, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WARLOCK
If money is not an issue, why not going with the X-Factor wich is a more complete kit ?
Money is an issue, sorta. I have about 1.5k to spend currently. Next month, or maybe the first of June, I'll have a few hundred more for a DS. The X-factor comes with a rear track bar, I already have one. It comes with 4 upper CA's. I can get away without the rears for a while. So buying the flex system and uppers with the DS next makes more sense/financial easiness for me. Also, no real offroading till September. Just mild for now. By then I'll have the rear uppers as well.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny

Not necessarily. If he uses a flip kit like EVO or synergy sales then it has a front tracbar bracket which will raise up the trackbar making it parallel to draglink and recenters axle also. You really want to do a flip and raise the tracbar at same time.
Ah I gotcha. Not to mention much cheaper

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Krawlersaur
Money is an issue, sorta. I have about 1.5k to spend currently. Next month, or maybe the first of June, I'll have a few hundred more for a DS. The X-factor comes with a rear track bar, I already have one. It comes with 4 upper CA's. I can get away without the rears for a while. So buying the flex system and uppers with the DS next makes more sense/financial easiness for me. Also, no real offroading till September. Just mild for now. By then I'll have the rear uppers as well.
Rear uppers arms are necessary at 3.5'' lift to correct the pignon angle. Lowers arms are to correct the wheelbase.

Also driveshaft both front and rear for a 2 doors or front only for a 4 doors at 3.5'' lift are required especially if you use long travel shocks like rancho 9000 for 4'' lift.

Replacing stock driveshaft by CV type will bring you another issue; you will need to deal with the pignon angle and be ready to sacrifice the caster and good on road driveability.

I suggest you to wait until you're ready to do it right and put everything necessary at the same time. This will cost you less doing it right the first time and also only doing wheels alignment and all required adjustment once.

As mentioned by others in previous post, building a jeep correctly on a 3.5'' lift is not cost efficient and is more complicated and costly than most people are willing to deal with.

Quick Reply: Bigger lift- what will i need?