Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bigger lift- what will i need?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Drag link flip kits require 3" or more front extended bumpstops to prevent the drag link from hitting the frame on full articulation.

This severely limits suspension up travel.

Unless a person is going to run stock flares with larger than 35" tires, it is better to run less than a 4" lift so you can skip the drag link flip kit.

With flat flares and 1" front extended bumpstops, you can run 37" tires and a long travel shock.

It makes much more sense to run a shorter lift, with springs that have a longer unloaded length, and a long travel shock, with minimal extended front bumpstops.

That being said, I have drag link flip kits on all 3 our JKs, but there are specific reasons why.

My 2 dr is on 40s with flat flares. So, I needed the 3"+ front extended bumpstops anyway.

My wife's 4 dr is on 37s with stock flares and 14" travel King coilovers. So, the air bumps over 3" were needed anyway.

Our 2nd 4 dr is on 37s, but we bought it built with an AEV 4.5" lift that includes the flip kit for handling purposes and to be able to run 37s with stock flares. I wouldn't have built it this way myself.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it done today, love the look. More upgrades now!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1520971530.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	542979
Old 04-03-2014, 11:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrown626

Seriously consider a drag link flip kit vs a front track bar, or get both if you must.
The drag link flip makes a very big difference in handling on the road. With 3-4" of lift it will also let you run the stock front track bar because it relocates it up three inches.
Wouldn't he still need a adj. Trac bar to help with axle re-centering at that height?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 04-03-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayswranglerX
Wouldn't he still need a adj. Trac bar to help with axle re-centering at that height? Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Not necessarily. If he uses a flip kit like EVO or synergy sales then it has a front tracbar bracket which will raise up the trackbar making it parallel to draglink and recenters axle also. You really want to do a flip and raise the tracbar at same time.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It moved back center under load- should I even bother?
Old 04-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Not necessarily. If he uses a flip kit like EVO or synergy sales then it has a front tracbar bracket which will raise up the trackbar making it parallel to draglink and recenters axle also. You really want to do a flip and raise the tracbar at same time.
In order to skip an adjustable front trackbar, the axle side relocation bracket would need to be designed for the amount of lift he actually netted from his 3.5" springs.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by planman
In order to skip an adjustable front trackbar, the axle side relocation bracket would need to be designed for the amount of lift he actually netted from his 3.5" springs.
Ok. I saw somewhere in here a 3" lift. Reminded me of the 3" synergy. Didn't catch the 3.5" lift part. And still it can be skipped I believe. I did a 2.5" lift with teraflex and didn't need the adjustable trackbar. Was still pretty much center. It's going to go off one way or the other as soon as you load people in it anyways right?
Old 04-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Ok. I saw somewhere in here a 3" lift. Reminded me of the 3" synergy. Didn't catch the 3.5" lift part. And still it can be skipped I believe. I did a 2.5" lift with teraflex and didn't need the adjustable trackbar. Was still pretty much center. It's going to go off one way or the other as soon as you load people in it anyways right?
2.5" is the max you'd want to do with a stock front trackbar in the stock mounting points. More than 2.5", and you begin to risk clearance problems, binding in control arm bushings, and/or bowing springs.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by planman
2.5" is the max you'd want to do with a stock front trackbar in the stock mounting points. More than 2.5", and you begin to risk clearance problems, binding in control arm bushings, and/or bowing springs.
Ok. I just switched my teraflex coils with RK and got a little more height so I put in their trackbar. Mainly just to have a stronger bar.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

I'd rather see somebody do a 2.5 inch lift, and skip an adjustable front track bar and front lower control arms, so that they can allocate those funds towards regearing, lockers or limited slips, a tuner/programmer, rocker panel armor, a winch, etc.

If they want more height for looks, I'd rather see them trim their flares flat or run a 1" body lift so they could prioritize regearing, etc.

I think it is poor prioritization when people on a limited budget blow it on an incomplete, taller-than-needed lift, plus bling wheels and tires, so they don't have enough to regear, run a tuner/programmer, get armor and a winch, etc.

Quick Reply: Bigger lift- what will i need?