Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bigger lift- what will i need?

Old 04-02-2014, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger lift- what will i need?

I I'm taking off my 2.5" spacer lift and throwing on a 3.5" coil lift. Question is this, will the stock control arms be ok and what about the front drive shaft? I have the exhaust mod. Kit came with shocks, coils, and rear track bar drop bracket. My worries are the control arms mostly. It's a daily driver and won't be doing any "hard" wheeling. Thanks in advanced
Old 04-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A 3.5" lift for a 2 dr JK should include at a minimum:

Front adjustable trackbar
Front lower adjustable control arms
Longer shocks
Extended bumpstops
Longer brakelines or front and rear relocation brackets
Rear raised axle side trackbar bracket
Rear lower coil degree correction wedges
Rear lower coil retainers
Springs that net 3.5" in the front and less than 3.5" in the rear on a 2 dr (usually net 1" less on a 4 dr)
Longer rear swaybar links
Longer front swaybar links or swaybar quick disconnect links

A 3.5" lift that doesn't include these things at a minimum is insufficient.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah it's the sky jacker standard. I have longer sway bar links, the brake line re locater, and bump stop extenders- quadratec says the control arms and drive shafts should be fine if it's not wheeling hazard.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also have the rear track bar relocate but nothing for front
Old 04-02-2014, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Before looking at any suspension system,

first question you need to ask is, what tires are you looking for and what is your intended use.

Then choosing the right lift as per the tires selected and intended use would make sens.

also fender clearance is important, will you keep the stock JK fenders or you're planning to replace it with high clearance flat fenders ? Are you willing to trim the inner fender sheet metal and pinch seems ?

Going with big meat will requires much more than just a lift kit and will cost $$$.

First thing you need to do is looking at the right tires for your need, then you need to build your JK around those tires with proper mods and accessories required.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got 35" MT baja's. Some light rubbing when turning tight. Just want more height- no hard wheelin
Old 04-02-2014, 04:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevo1371
I've got 35" MT baja's. Some light rubbing when turning tight. Just want more height- no hard wheelin
Seriously consider a drag link flip kit vs a front track bar, or get both if you must.
The drag link flip makes a very big difference in handling on the road. With 3-4" of lift it will also let you run the stock front track bar because it relocates it up three inches.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevo1371
oh ok so you want more height to increase fenders clearance. I don't thing you will get better clearance while turning, better wheel back spacing will do. Your tires might rub on the supension components. Also check if you have the stock plastic valence, you might need to trim it or remove it to prevent rubbing.

With 35'' tire you only need 2.5'' lift and going higher is only to gain better break over and approach angles but at the cost of increased center of gravity.

What wheels do you have ?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

They are pro comp's 7069 17x9 I think they are 4.75" back space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1230056748.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	542865
Old 04-02-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You seem to have convinced yourself that all of the suggestions you are getting are for offroad driving only...

Both of the sticky threads at the top of this area have blurbs on Caster. Drive it after you add the new springs to see how the handling has changed, but I'd be willing to bet that with 3.5" coils (maybe 4" actual lift height?) you will decide on some form of correction. Good caster is something you will want for the 99.99% of the time you are on road. Not the 0.01% of the time you are offroad

Short swaybar links have been known to allow the front swaybar to flip around backwards when flexed. There are pics on this site of it happening on a lift at the shop!! The same could probably go for short brakelines and being on a lift.

Boots on the joints of stock driveshafts don't handle steeper angles all that well. Keep an eye on them, even if you rarely go offroad. If/when you notice grease being slung at the undercarriage, decide what you want to do about it.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-02-2014 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Bigger lift- what will i need?