Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Big spare wont fit on tire carrier

Old 09-07-2007, 08:27 PM
AK
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know where?

I have seen a bolt on bracket that mounts on the factory tire carrier and basicly lifts the wheel so that a 35 can fit. For whatever reason I can't find it know, anyone know where to find it?

Thanks,
AK
Old 09-07-2007, 08:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

This might be it.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ighlight=spare
Old 09-07-2007, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Expedition One Spare Tire Lift Bracket: http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-bumper...e-lift-bracket

Or...

Bestop / High Rock Tire Carrier: http://www.quadratec.com/products/12203_100_07.htm , http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=28

I'll probably get one of these when I get 35's... use one of them at least for a while. The best solution is to get one of those rear bumper w/ swing away tire carrier, but that's another $1,000+! Spending over $2,000~2,500 for tires and wheels and spend another $1,000+ on top of that is too much...for me anyway.

Does anyone have the Bestop / High Rock Tire Carrier?

Last edited by moun10eer; 09-07-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also, Warrior Products makes the spare tire relocation bracket. It doesn't look as nice as Expedition One's, but the bracket will be hidden behind of the tire. So it doesn't matter how it looks... as long as it's durable. It's a bit cheaper and around $63.

Last edited by moun10eer; 09-07-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murray8144
it's a 305/70/17, 34", and it runs into the bumper and wont fit on the studs on the tire carrier. any ideas on a fix for this??
Keep trying. My tire guys said they couldn't get it on, but with a little more persuasion I was able to make mine fit on with a 315-70-17 on the Moab wheel. Yes, it rubs the bumper quite a bit, but that helps to support the weight of the tire when the tailgate is closed. I removed my rubber tailgate snubbers. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Below is a picture of my temporary setup. I am waiting for a custom built rear bumper w/ tire carrier. I would estimate I will be waiting for until late October or so. In the mean time I knew I needed to carrier a fullsize spare, so as a temporary solution I modified the factory rack to carry a 37" spare.

I trimmed the rubber bumps on the body to allow for the additional width with out a spacer. I then disconnected the brake light wiring and cut off the bracket. For clearence I then reshaped the bumper recess to allow it to accomodate the 37" tire (looks cheesy with the tailgate open, but with the tailgate closed you can not even tell). The tire actually rests on the bumper, which is important as I wanted to make sure not to warp my tailgate with the wait of the larger tire.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Bestop carrier. 37's on W-E's. It's worked well. It also serves as the mount for the CB and 2m antennas.

Andy
Old 05-05-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by moun10eer
Also, Warrior Products makes the spare tire relocation bracket. It doesn't look as nice as Expedition One's, but the bracket will be hidden behind of the tire. So it doesn't matter how it looks... as long as it's durable. It's a bit cheaper and around $63.
I got this one from 4wheelparts because my 35 wouldn't fit. It repositions it perfectly for the bumper clearance. Has a taillight extension bracket in also, but you need to cut the factory bracket and drill holes to use it. I just left it barely peeking over the top.

I noticed this morning though, when on the freeway, if I got into a good vibration rythm, the rear tire started really bouncing...freaked me out. Like the whole gate mount would eventually break away.

I'll be getting a swing away ASAP.

Quick Reply: Big spare wont fit on tire carrier