Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

The big 3 or rather 4 electrical upgrade

Old 07-19-2017, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Updating this thread. As of 2 weeks later the No Start Condition has not returned. This really seems to have fixed it.

I would recommend it for all 07,08 and maybe even 09. It seems to really help. Installed it on my buddies 09 auto and he said same thing. Starter sounds different and key fob responds better.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stupid new engines..... New cars.... Can't find a convenient spot to connect ground to the block..... Plastic all over....
The stock location I can't get to the bolt head on the engine side (plastic again)... Btw... That stock ground wire is fricking tiny.....
Old 07-20-2017, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Has anyone actually checked the resistance in ohms between the bracket and ground to see a measurable improvement?

I'm looking to add the extra ground to the block but that would be the extent of my 'big 3' as the dual battery already adds a heavy gauge wire from the batteries (negative) to chassis ground.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Resistance is near zero when I measured stock setup BUT the tiny skinny ground wire from the block makes me shudder.... Hope that there are more then just the one I found in the back of the engine bay.

On that note - on 2012+ where did you guys mount the additional ground? I can't get to the bolt engine side on the stock one and the actual engine block is buried and surrounded by plastic doodads....
Old 07-25-2017, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Btw, I just confirmed from a wiring diragram - it's 10 gauge between alternator and battery.....
Old 09-15-2017, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Updating this thread to say this has worked so far. My no start condition has not happened once. It seems to be an 07,08,09 issue with the majority being the late 07 to early 08 automatic transmissions. Mine is a sahara. For the $8 this cost me and an entire 20 minutes of taking my time and cleaning connections up, seems as if everyone should just do this. Man, I hate to sound like one of those nut jobs because Im a mechanical person, but it just sounds like it starts better and the electronics work better. Still as an update. I said that earlier also and Im sticking to it. Label me the superstitious nut bar, but not having this issue happen anymore really makes the jeep much more of a pleasure to drive.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:03 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
Updating this thread to say this has worked so far. My no start condition has not happened once. It seems to be an 07,08,09 issue with the majority being the late 07 to early 08 automatic transmissions. Mine is a sahara. For the $8 this cost me and an entire 20 minutes of taking my time and cleaning connections up, seems as if everyone should just do this. Man, I hate to sound like one of those nut jobs because Im a mechanical person, but it just sounds like it starts better and the electronics work better. Still as an update. I said that earlier also and Im sticking to it. Label me the superstitious nut bar, but not having this issue happen anymore really makes the jeep much more of a pleasure to drive.
It doesn't sound nutty at all. There's probably an intermittent/poor connection like a bad crimp, hidden corrosion, or hidden broken wire strands in the factory wiring. Running another ground wire in parallel to the failed wiring fixes the situation.

Most of the time wires, terminals, and connectors are perfectly continuous conductors, but occasionally they aren't. This sort of problem can act like a random switch/resistor in the circuit that's affected by humidity, vibration, heat, etc.

Good work,
Old 09-16-2017, 08:05 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Starter amps and ground wire voltage drop...

I made a measurement of normal voltage drop on the ground wire during starting, and the normal starter amps. Thought it might be a good troubleshooting reference for those with meters.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...4/#post4303975

Quick Reply: The big 3 or rather 4 electrical upgrade