Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BFG's on an 8" wide rim - Question

Old 04-30-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFG's on an 8" wide rim - Question

I plan on putting BFG Mud Terrains LT255/85R16 (33.3x10). Now it says the tire is 10" wide when on rims that are 7" wide. I plan on getting Cragar Series 342 (16x8 with 5" of backspacing). I want those because I want the 5" of backspacing. Cragar does make a 16x7, but that's 4" of backspacing, and I don't want my tires sticking out of the fenders really.

Question:

On the BFG website, it says the LT255/85R16 tire can fit on any rim width that is 6.5-8 inches wide. Now if I put those tires on the 8" wide Cragar rim, will they still be 10" wide? If no, about how wide do you think/know they will be?

And also, with the 8" wide rim, will my rims still be protected by the tire when offroading? In otherwords, will it look more like this: http://www.hummerproducts.com/BFG-MT-KM-Web.jpg Or will the tire look fat? I don't want the tire to look fat. I like how the tire looks in the posted link; how it provides side protection.

Anyway, get back to me and thanks.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by KnuckleHead
I plan on putting BFG Mud Terrains LT255/85R16 (33.3x10). Now it says the tire is 10" wide when on rims that are 7" wide. I plan on getting Cragar Series 342 (16x8 with 5" of backspacing). I want those because I want the 5" of backspacing. Cragar does make a 16x7, but that's 4" of backspacing, and I don't want my tires sticking out of the fenders really.

Question:

On the BFG website, it says the LT255/85R16 tire can fit on any rim width that is 6.5-8 inches wide. Now if I put those tires on the 8" wide Cragar rim, will they still be 10" wide? If no, about how wide do you think/know they will be?

And also, with the 8" wide rim, will my rims still be protected by the tire when offroading? In otherwords, will it look more like this: http://www.hummerproducts.com/BFG-MT-KM-Web.jpg Or will the tire look fat? I don't want the tire to look fat. I like how the tire looks in the posted link; how it provides side protection.

__________________________________________________ ________________

If I understand you correctly;

1. You are decided upon stock width tires that are about an inch taller than stock (32.1" vs 33.3")

Kind of skinny, but, ok I suppose

2. You want 5" of BS, even though the oem BS for 255's is 6.25" - and have selected a 16 x 8 rim with 5" BS. (Presumably to make the stance 1.25" wider with the stock width tire?)

Fine

3. You do not want the 16 x 7 rim, as it only comes with a 4" BS.

Unusual...are you SURE it ONLY comes with 4" of BS if you get a 7" width?

I want to ALSO make sure that you don't THINK its 4" because the 8" rim had 5", etc. (As the rim width has ZERO affect upon the BS)

4. You want your new rims to protect your sidewalls, instead of wanting your sidewalls to protect your rim.

Unusual

5. You want to know if your tire will change its section width if the rim is 8" vs 7" wide.

Not enough to notice...the rim size changes the section width very little in that size range....that's more of a street tire issue.

If the above is off base, or needs clarification....let us know.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Teej - you sugest I go more along the lines of a LT285x75R16 (33x11.5)? If I did that with 5" of backspacing, would there be any rubbing on my coils or control arms or sway bar links?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Talking

285's will fit fine with any of the BS you wanted...315's require about 1.5" less BS for example...you'd have 1.25" less BS for 285's...plenty.

You could even do 305/70/16's, get a lot more rubber on the road for better braking and handling, not to mention more flotation if on sand, mud, snow, etc...and the sidewalls would still be tight like you like'm.

The BFG AT ko in the 305/70/16 is VERY nice. You'll LOVE it.

It has the TREAD of a 12.5" section width tire, but the sidewall bulge of a 12" section width tire.

(The 305/70/16 is a bit taller than the 33 x 12.5/15 of the same tire, and has a bit wider tread than it as well, but a tighter sidewall, so its less wishy washy in handling, and rubs less on inboard components)
Old 04-30-2008, 02:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before my lift I had no rubbing issues with 33x12.5R17 Cooper STT's on eagle alloy 17x8 with 4.5" BS. However, with the 12.5 wide tire I am about 1/2 inch outside the stock fenders. However, with this tire and rim combo....I had no issues with rubbing at full lock either way. Only reason I got the 2" lift was to clear the tires should I need extreme flex and able to tuck the rear tires under the fenders.

I would stick with 4.5 to 5.0 BS rim if it's extemely important to have your tires tucked under the stock fenders. I would stick with nothing wider than 12" wide tire. Any tire wider than 12 inches wide will stick outside the fenders.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 04-30-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Before my lift I had no rubbing issues with 33x12.5R17 Cooper STT's on eagle alloy 17x8 with 4.5" BS. However, with the 12.5 wide tire I am about 1/2 inch outside the stock fenders. However, with this tire and rim combo....I had no issues with rubbing at full lock either way. Only reason I got the 2" lift was to clear the tires should I need extreme flex and able to tuck the rear tires under the fenders.

I would stick with 4.5 to 5.0 BS rim if it's extemely important to have your tires tucked under the stock fenders. I would stick with nothing wider than 12" wide tire. Any tire wider than 12 inches wide will stick outside the fenders.

OK, so you had a 1/2" wider tire, and a 1/2" less BS, and it stuck out 1/2" past the fenders...so, sounds exactly as described.

We recommend a 305 mm (12") section width with 5" BS and we get the same clearance as someone who ran a 12.5" with 4.5" BS....and had zero clearance issues.

Perfect.

OK, there you have it....the 5" BS 16 x 8 rim with 305/70/16 tires work out REAL nice....as projected and confirmed.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KnuckleHead

Question:

I'm thinking about this same set up.........I like skinny tires
Old 04-30-2008, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses and insight. After hearing what you guys wrote, I know won't have to ask another dumb backspacing/tire question. I think I'm gonna do the LT285/75R16 (33x11.5) after hearing how there's no rubbing. And I'm gonna be picking up the teraflex 2.5" lift too.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: BFG's on an 8" wide rim - Question