Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BFG T/A KM2 or Dick CEPEK to replace stock Sahara

Old 01-27-2008, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fredman
HOLD ON I just checked the Toyo site and they list the following sizes for the MT

LT285/75R18 7.5-9"
LT275/70R18 7-8.5"

Why couldn't I use one of these?

I think I misunderstood. I was under the impression that you wanted to go bigger with a more aggressive look.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have run all three of the BFGs... AT, KM, and KM2. They are all quiet on the road and last 40k-50k miles if rotated regularly. I have run the Goodyear MTR and they were super quiet too and lasted 40k-50k miles if rotated. I have not run the Toyo. Everyone I know down at Les Schwab runs them and most are having cuping issues and complain they are loud and heavy compared to the BFG. I have looked at their vehicle's tires and every other lug is worn a lot worse than the others (cuping). Im not sure if its due to them NOT rotating them or NOT having their vehicles properly aligned. You would think since they all work for Les Schwab their alignement would be right and that they rotate them. The Toyo is SUPER heavy and you can really feel it in a vehicle running them. Look at the weights of the TOYO vs all the BFGs. It is about 20lbs heavier EACH tire. That is a lot of rolling resistance. Im just not a fan of the Toyo and from what I have seen and heard at our local Les Schwab I would not run them. Im loving my BFGs.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 4JEXEP4
I think I misunderstood. I was under the impression that you wanted to go bigger with a more aggressive look.
Oops perhaps my bad.

I wanted to stay with more or less the same size just a more aggressive profile. Sounds like I should take a look at the Goodyear mtr as well...
Old 01-27-2008, 11:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

DC are quite tires as well, i am not sure if they come on smaller size but you may consider them for quiteness, as for the looks they arent that aggressive
Old 01-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Although the MT tires have the look you are after, you might be happier in the long run with an aggressive looking AT tire. Since you are mainly running hwys a MT tire is going to make a lot of noise for you regardless of which one you choose. Now, some are quieter than others but they all make MT noise. AT tires like the Terra Grapplers or the BFG AT's still have aggressive tread but don't carry all the noise. If your focusing on looks, like it sounds, The Nitto Terra Grappler or the Cooper LTZ would be great choices, if you are looking for looks and life the BFG AT's would be a great choice. Let us know if we can help.

Here are some pictures for you of the Nitto and the Cooper.
Nitto Terra Grappler
Cooper LTZ
Old 01-28-2008, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run several of these tires on my CTD, I usually burn a set a year. This is based on 70% Forestry Roads & 30% highway and on a 1 tonne Diesel.

BFG A/T- decent off-road tire, poor wearing (45,000km), not very noisy on the highway & price was good.

Mickey Thompson MTZ's - great off-road tire, poor wear (40,000km), noisy on the highway, but the price is okay.

Dick Cepek FC-II's - decent off-road tire, good wearing (85,000km), not very noisy on the highway and price was good.

Toyo M/T's - great off-road tire, good wearing, not very noisy for a mud tire on the highway. The con's heavy 10 ply tire and pricey. Current set: (45,000km) just less than 1/2 the tread left

I am looking at the Toyo M/T's to be placed on my Wife's JK (Daily Driver) as I like the look, the wear has been fantastic and it passed the wife noise test on the highway with my Diesel.

Just note you probably will get better wear than the above listed tires on your JK....as I do drive like a bat out of hell on forestry roads, like to do a few smoke shows and the weight of the Diesel motor and the weight I load on my truck will factor into this wear as well!

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 01-28-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

personally, i like the bridgestone ATs on the sahara. i've had LOTS of experience with them. My father manages a firestone store so i get good deals. i've rune the bridgestone ATs on every truck/suv i've owned (84 full size blazer, 00 cherokee, & 03 f150). each set lasted as long as i owned the vehicle. i did minor offroading... mostly trails, a little mud (definitely not deep, thick stuff) and loose rocky hills. also, they are great in rainy weather. Now i'm running AT Revos. I'm trying to kill them so i can justify going with 35" DC to the wife. but the damn things still got lots of life left. need to hit some rocks to chew them up.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Fallen Hero

Originally Posted by Discount Tire Direct
Although the MT tires have the look you are after, you might be happier in the long run with an aggressive looking AT tire. Since you are mainly running hwys a MT tire is going to make a lot of noise for you regardless of which one you choose. Now, some are quieter than others but they all make MT noise. AT tires like the Terra Grapplers or the BFG AT's still have aggressive tread but don't carry all the noise. If your focusing on looks, like it sounds, The Nitto Terra Grappler or the Cooper LTZ would be great choices, if you are looking for looks and life the BFG AT's would be a great choice. Let us know if we can help.

Nitto Terra Grappler
Cooper LTZ

I think if I was going the A/T route I would get a set of Truxses STS. Those coopers did not look like they came in aplethora of sizes. I have to Terra craplers on my Ford now there not bad for what I paid for them. I think more highly of them than my BFG's I once had. They both make me feel like I am on Ice when I get off the black top Not to mention the stones the BFG's kicked up OUCH my fore arm
Old 01-28-2008, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Discount Tire Direct

Nitto Terra Grappler
Cooper LTZ
Have to tell you that I have seen the Nitto Terra Grappler and I do like the look of them.... I think for me it's between the Toyo's/BFG/Nitto.

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. I think it's time for me to go visit some Tire stores
Old 01-28-2008, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does anybody know the life of a km2 are is it around the same as the old mud terrian

Quick Reply: BFG T/A KM2 or Dick CEPEK to replace stock Sahara