Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BFG Mud Terrains - What to expect?

Old 10-26-2015, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

still using my stock 2012 rubi tires. dont really have any complaints. they work well wet or dry and in the snow as well. Got about 9 k on them so far and they still have a ton of tread left and most of my driving is up and down the highway.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Perhaps there's a drastic difference between the KM2 and the KM? I'm running KM2s (35x12.50x17), I have 20,000 miles on them and they look nearly new.

On the topic of how they do in assorted conditions (KM2)...

Rocks - great
Mud - great
Sand - great
Snow - great

Rain - poor - give yourself plenty of room to stop.

Ice - terrible

EDIT - I do a 5 tire rotation every time I change the oil.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 35" KM2 have 26000 miles and still look great with plenty of tread left. I do a 5 tire roatation every 5000 miles.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rotate mine every 3-5k. One road trip to OBX and back and they are now really noisy. Would not buy on my own.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

I'm still running my 12 JKU Rubicon on the orig 255 75 KM's. It's ridiculous I have a little over 70k miles on them and they're still not done. I quit rotating them at about 60k and they are pretty badly cupped and noisy now, but still quite a bit of tread. Most of my mileage has been on the interstate but the KM's worked pretty good other than snow & ice. I've never had tires last anywhere near this long, especially not an aggressive tread like these.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Perhaps there's a drastic difference between the KM2 and the KM? I'm running KM2s (35x12.50x17), I have 20,000 miles on them and they look nearly new.

On the topic of how they do in assorted conditions (KM2)...

Rocks - great
Mud - great
Sand - great
Snow - great

Rain - poor - give yourself plenty of room to stop.

Ice - terrible

EDIT - I do a 5 tire rotation every time I change the oil.
I keep seeing a recurring theme with these tires when it comes to rain. Are they really that terrible when the pavement gets wet? It's a real concern if these things are going to put my family in danger when it rains.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

They'll get the job done. My Rubi take-offs had <4,000 miles on them when I picked them up, and they've seen all kinds of terrain. They're great on mud, rocks and sugar sand, as you might expect. In my experience, they do just fine on wet pavement and on snow/ice, too, as long as you drive carefully.

Be prepared for balancing issues and uneven wear, even when well cared for and rotated every 3- to 5,000 miles. Mine are on track to need replacement by January or February, and they'll have had about a 30,000-mile lifespan.

They're fine stop-gap tires until you can afford to go bigger, but I wouldn't plan on them being my final tire choice. I'm planning to replace mine with a set of 33-inch Duratracs, as a step-up plan to eventually running 35-inch KM2s. (or KM3s, depending on their launch date)
Old 10-27-2015, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by warpeg
I keep seeing a recurring theme with these tires when it comes to rain. Are they really that terrible when the pavement gets wet? It's a real concern if these things are going to put my family in danger when it rains.
They aren't dangerous, per se, but they don't have the siping to give them great performance on water and ice. The more siping a tire has (to a point), the better they will perform in wet/ice conditions. That same siping is what will cause a tire to chunk in rocky conditions. It comes to what balance you want.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warpeg
They have no sipes to grip, just big flat blocks of rubber. So by design they are not going to be great on slippery stuff. You can have them siped at a tire shop as I did my first set and that will help a little.

That said, I have been through many rains and winters with them and do not feel endangered. If I can do that with my sometimes stupid right foot and 400 HP then I doubt they are dangerous. If left on, the traction control will not let you get too out of sorts anyway. Just be aware that you cannot hang curves on slick pavement as fast as you might with a sticky rubber, less aggressive, siped tire. Unless you like to slide around now and then on purpose, that is
Old 10-27-2015, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Yankee
They have no sipes to grip, just big flat blocks of rubber. So by design they are not going to be great on slippery stuff. You can have them siped at a tire shop as I did my first set and that will help a little.

That said, I have been through many rains and winters with them and do not feel endangered. If I can do that with my sometimes stupid right foot and 400 HP then I doubt they are dangerous. If left on, the traction control will not let you get too out of sorts anyway. Just be aware that you cannot hang curves on slick pavement as fast as you might with a sticky rubber, less aggressive, siped tire. Unless you like to slide around now and then on purpose, that is
Yup... this ^^^... you said it better than I did. FWIW, I also have a 400hp engine in mine and Yankee is correct, the traction control will keep you in mostly good shape.

Quick Reply: BFG Mud Terrains - What to expect?