Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BFG Mud Terrains - What to expect?

Old 10-26-2015, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BFG Mud Terrains - What to expect?

I recently ordered a set of 2013 Rubicon tire/wheel take-offs. The tires are the standard 255/75R17 BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM. My JK Sport is currently wearing the stock Goodyears. I'm excited to finally have a good tire to use off road. But, what differences will I find between the two tires in terms of road use?
- Dry pavement?
- In the rain?
- In the snow?

Can anyone share their experiences?
Old 10-26-2015, 05:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by warpeg
I recently ordered a set of 2013 Rubicon tire/wheel take-offs. The tires are the standard 255/75R17 BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM. My JK Sport is currently wearing the stock Goodyears. I'm excited to finally have a good tire to use off road. But, what differences will I find between the two tires in terms of road use?
- Dry pavement?
- In the rain?
- In the snow?

Can anyone share their experiences?
They do fine other than on ice.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ones I had years ago wore out quickly.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Make sure you rotate them every 3000 miles or they will burn up fast.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have already stated, they wear fast. I only had mine for about 1.5 years (30k+/- miles) and they're already toast. I rotated every 3-3.2k miles... I loved them when they were new, but I'd never by a set myself.

Since I've become a Toyo fanboy over the past few years, I have to recommend that you take the wheels and start saving for a more durable tire.

In short, if they're in like-new condition, I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

Old 10-26-2015, 08:18 AM
JK Super Freak

I replaced my first set of BFG's at 40K miles or so and they still had some tread left. I am sure they would have lasted to 50k+ if I did not find the occasional burnout so much fun. I rotate them every 4 to 6k or when they start to chop in the front. I have read a few instances of people getting 60k on them.

They are good enough in the mud and deep snow for me. I had my my first set siped and it seemed to help a little on the ice/packed snow you see on the paved roads. On slippery pavement you should not expect the traction of a dedicated snow tire (or even AT) with a mud tire though.

You will probably see a slight decrease in fuel economy.

It is interesting how my experience differs. Probably do not know what I am missing with a better tire, but the way I treat tires they are good enough.

Edit: I do not do much high speed expressway driving, mostly secondary roads. That may be the difference.

Last edited by Yankee; 10-26-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

5 tire rotation every 4-5k miles, 32k on them now (KM2 35s), could easily go another 8-10. I beat on them hard on the rocks here in CO with a little chunking and 1 cut sidewall (warrantied) and I've been VERY happy with their durability overall. Packed snow and ice; they suck and you HAVE to be in 4wd to get around.

Last edited by fredrok; 10-26-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

I think they wore pretty well. I rotated 5 tires and got about 70K out of them.

On dry pavement they were fine. No issues
In the snow they were fantastic. Nothing could stop them. Same for beach sand too.
In the rain they were horrible. They would spin on wet roads at every start, and would fish-tail around a corner if you weren't careful.

This spring, at 70K I traded them in for Wrangler DuraTracs. Much better wet condition tire, not quite as good on the beach. We will see what happens in the snow.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good lord, you guys getting 50K miles on your BFG's, you are talking mud terrains and not all terrains correct? I know the AT's are super high mileage tires, but 40K is the best i've ever heard for the BFG MT's. You guys did well.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got 32k on my stock bfg mts. I keep up with the 5 tire rotation and they're good to go. They handled last winter here in VA no problem but as mentioned above, they're not great in ice. I'll be swapping mine out for ATs when the wear out.

Quick Reply: BFG Mud Terrains - What to expect?