Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BFG M/T or Toyo Open Country M/T?

Old 11-06-2012, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFG M/T or Toyo Open Country M/T?

I usually do my own homework and hate to post another tire question but looking at the two tires I can get a better price on the BFG from Costco with a great Costco warranty at no extra charge plus free rotation, nitrogen and delivered right to Costco. The problem is the reviews on the BFG website are bad. I like the look of the Toyo and I have read good reviews but I have to have them shipped to my house and haul them to a tire shop & warranty is extra ($175). Just looking for a few opinions of the two.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mschneid
I usually do my own homework and hate to post another tire question but looking at the two tires I can get a better price on the BFG from Costco with a great Costco warranty at no extra charge plus free rotation, nitrogen and delivered right to Costco. The problem is the reviews on the BFG website are bad. I like the look of the Toyo and I have read good reviews but I have to have them shipped to my house and haul them to a tire shop & warranty is extra ($175). Just looking for a few opinions of the two.
Reviews really never help. The only people who fill them out are the ones who are pissed or extremely happy. I run BFG and will not change to another tire. They run great and fairly quiet on the street, perform great in the mud and work great on the rocks when you heat them up. I say BFG!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:05 AM
JK Freak

Can't really go wrong either way here, but I'd say go Toyo's. Unless you don't want a heavy tire.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just purchased the Toyo tires and did tons of shopping before making my choice. I looked at BFG's, Toyos, Generals, and Nittos. I liked the look of the Toyos, and a lot of people on different forums had good things to say about them. The price got the BFGs were a lot more for me. I think you get just as good a tire for less money. I can post pictures of the new tires this afternoon.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing that irks me about BFG is your paying a 35 price for a tire that runs barely over 33". Even the stockers on my Jeep are supposed to be a 32 and run 31". I know most tire manufacturers run smaller than the sidewall size but BFG isnt even close. I mean if you compare a 35" BFG to a 33/34" toyo the prices might not look so out of proportion. I looked on Discounts site real quick and a 285/75r17 Nitto Trail Grappler (they dont have Toyos) is $40 less than a 35" KM2 and they run about the same diameter though the Nitto would be narrower. Not sure what specific size your looking at but make sure your comparing apples to apples. BTW the BFGs are pretty good tires on and off road but they are soft and chunk and slash easily if you play a lot in the rocks.

Rob
Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 AM
GKR
JK Newbie

I've ran several sets of both tires on various rigs over the years. As far as performance (traction,ride, quietness,) I put them about even. Where the Toyo shines is the durability. They just take huge abuse and shrug it off. I've never cut a side wall and they resist chunking really well. Downside is they are heavy. Heavy enough you can tell the minute you pull out of the driveway. They are pretty true to size and priced reasonably. The BFG's are nice due to how light they are. It's like free horsepower when you run them back to back. Downside is they are a bit easier to damage. I have cut 4 sidewalls and get a bit of chunking from the sharp rock areas. They due run small and always have. I run a set of 38's and they are about the same size as the 37" Toyos. The pricing of larger BFG's is a bit crazy though.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Toyo's. BFG's are over-priced in my opinion for what they are. I have 285 Open Country M/T's on my Z71 and after 44000 miles they still look good. I just put a set of 35" Open Country M/T's on my 05 F250 because I think so much of the tire.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
The thing that irks me about BFG is your paying a 35 price for a tire that runs barely over 33". Even the stockers on my Jeep are supposed to be a 32 and run 31". I know most tire manufacturers run smaller than the sidewall size but BFG isnt even close. I mean if you compare a 35" BFG to a 33/34" toyo the prices might not look so out of proportion. I looked on Discounts site real quick and a 285/75r17 Nitto Trail Grappler (they dont have Toyos) is $40 less than a 35" KM2 and they run about the same diameter though the Nitto would be narrower. Not sure what specific size your looking at but make sure your comparing apples to apples. BTW the BFGs are pretty good tires on and off road but they are soft and chunk and slash easily if you play a lot in the rocks.

Rob
I'm looking at the 285/75/17 because I want the height but I don't want to rub or stick out of the wheel well. My 255/75/17 are real close to sticking out right now. If you look at the specs the Toyo is 34.1"x11.6" and the BFG is 33.9" x 11.3 you mean these are not real? Could it perhaps be the sidewall is weaker so it collapses more on the BFG?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have had both but prefer Toyos. However, I did regear; the Toyos are heavy, but tough and I like how they ride.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mschneid
I'm looking at the 285/75/17 because I want the height but I don't want to rub or stick out of the wheel well. My 255/75/17 are real close to sticking out right now. If you look at the specs the Toyo is 34.1"x11.6" and the BFG is 33.9" x 11.3 you mean these are not real? Could it perhaps be the sidewall is weaker so it collapses more on the BFG?
Ive actually been debating whether to go 285/75/17 or 35/12.5/17. I really like the idea of the tall skinny tires. I dont know how BFG's 285 rides but I know their 35's, 37's and 32's are small so I dont see why those tires would be any different. Hopefully someone who actually has a set of them can chime in with the answer. Me Im leaning towards Toyo's because they are taller and tougher and I spend a lot of my four wheeling time in the rocks. My BFG's are pretty thrashed though none have failed yet.

Rob

Quick Reply: BFG M/T or Toyo Open Country M/T?