Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BFG KM2 vs GoodYear MTR

Old 10-12-2013, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in South Florida so my trails are always the everglades and strait rodes if I'm in the city. That's why I want a smooth ride on road but with a decent tread life
Old 10-12-2013, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I run 35x12.5x17 with no issues. I got them with 6k miles already on them & put another 12K & have no complaints at all. On road they're great, minimal noise & vibration for such a tire & off road, they're awesome. I run them at about 30psi & they feel good but will try at lower psi to compare.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I looked it up, so do certain tires come pre siped, or do you get it done after you have the tires?
Some do, some don't. Some have a little siping, some have a lot. Some factory siping is deep and will last the life of the tire, others do a half assed job and it is worn off fairly quickly. My maxxis bighorns were siped from the factory, but very shallow, and I had them redone the second winter. Looks about the same for my new falken wildpeaks, I will be getting them done in the next few weeks to beat the first snows. (Siping at my local Discount Tire ($10/tire) was more extensive, much deeper, and performs better on snow & ice, than the factory sipes)

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos

Didn't I see you posting about the possibility of going to 37's at one point? If so, dropping to 16's may be a mistake.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-12-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Canalesjavii
Wow really 60k? no issues with balancing either? Ive heard the MTRs have huge problems with that but i guess that depends on the set you get lol, hope i dont get a bad 1
I had a set of 33" MTR/k's that have around 45k miles on then and they still have 30-40% tread left. No balancing issues and I wheeled then regularly.

I just went up to 35" MTR's and I'm very happy with them.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Some do, some don't. Some have a little siping, some have a lot. Some factory siping is deep and will last the life of the tire, others do a half assed job and it is worn off fairly quickly. My maxxis bighorns were siped from the factory, but very shallow, and I had them redone the second winter. Looks about the same for my new falken wildpeaks, I will be getting them done in the next few weeks to beat the first snows. (Siping at my local Discount Tire ($10/tire) was more extensive, much deeper, and performs better on snow & ice, than the factory sipes)

Tire Siping - Discount Tire

Didn't I see you posting about the possibility of going to 37's at one point? If so, dropping to 16's may be a mistake.
Yeah I'm really torn on 35" vs 37"

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a huge upgrade, other than engine swap, I'm ready to get Dynatrac axle sets from Northridge4x4, the d44 and d60 for the rear

With ARB lockers installed and RCV axles, 4:56 or 4:88 gears plus new drive shafts front and rear, very heavy duty

How well that goes will influence me a bit as far as tire size, I'd love 37's but I'd like to keep my center of gravity down

Matthew
Old 10-12-2013, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Yeah I'm really torn on 35" vs 37" I'm just about to pull the trigger on a huge upgrade, other than engine swap, I'm ready to get Dynatrac axle sets from Northridge4x4, the d44 and d60 for the rear With ARB lockers installed and RCV axles, 4:56 or 4:88 gears plus new drive shafts front and rear, very heavy duty How well that goes will influence me a bit as far as tire size, I'd love 37's but I'd like to keep my center of gravity down Matthew
If your going that route: BF's run small and go 37! MTR's
Old 10-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by TJJK

Must be quicksand for mud. Major 4wd publication (MUD TIRE SHOOTOUT) rated the DYNAPRO MT number one out of ten.
I would never base a decision on a magazines opinion. Always get feedback from actual users, preferably ones that owned and used them, or better yet, find someone local that might let you check them out.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
If your going that route: BF's run small and go 37! MTR's
I know, it seems dumb to just go from Duratrac's in 285 17" to Duratrac's in 315 17"

I'm replacing so much with heavy duty stuff, so I ought to be able to run 37's

Weakest link left will be the transfer case, transmission and engine...

With RCV axles + Dynatrac's + new drive shafts I think I'd be all set

But I have heard horror stories of all the things that get over stressed with 37's

At the jeep Jamboree a week or so ago, there were some gorgeous rigs there that looked massive and very few had 37's, I'd go over and talk to them and normally they just had 16" rims with very full 35's that were 12.5" BFG or MTR K's

On paper I should be able to spin 40's!

Matthew
Old 10-12-2013, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just got back from Rausch today, and saw a guy puncture brand new km2s on a blue trail, I took the same line as him and hey, im here talking about it lol. Lesson is the mtr didn't blow up, I'm happy. Idk what he was doing, could have been driver error but I wheeled blacks and blues all day and do every time I'm out, the Goodyear takes the punishment. I've run Mtrs for my last 3 sets of tires, it's a great tire.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by J3rs3yd3vil
Just got back from Rausch today, and saw a guy puncture brand new km2s on a blue trail, I took the same line as him and hey, im here talking about it lol. Lesson is the mtr didn't blow up, I'm happy. Idk what he was doing, could have been driver error but I wheeled blacks and blues all day and do every time I'm out, the Goodyear takes the punishment. I've run Mtrs for my last 3 sets of tires, it's a great tire.
Do yours have the Kevlar?

Mathew

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: BFG KM2 vs GoodYear MTR