Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BFG KM2 - Issues - Horror Stories

Old 12-30-2014, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 10k on my BFG MT 285/75/17 and there is a lot of "chunking" (chunks missing/flying off the tread) also at this point they are very hard to balance. Twelve ounces on one wheel.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mschneid
I have about 10k on my BFG MT 285/75/17 and there is a lot of "chunking" (chunks missing/flying off the tread) also at this point they are very hard to balance. Twelve ounces on one wheel.
FWIW, I was chunking my 285/70-17 KM2's pretty good, I was only airing down to around 16-18lbs. Some one suggested I go to lower psi, so I started going down to 12, sometimes 10 and the chunking mostly stopped. Only small nicks after that, totally livable. I now have 35" KM2's and haven't chunked them yet. For the sake of the horror story side, I am getting ready to take them in to discount for the 3rd time to rebalance. I've had a vibration around 60-65 mph. They're getting it closer, it's down to a slight vibration as of the 2nd trip. My smaller tires balanced perfect the first time and only needed rebalanced once in 50k miles. I have nothing to add for snow and ice as I live near Phoenix, they do fine in our monsoon rains though. At least in my opinion.

Last edited by bthomas; 12-30-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bthomas
FWIW, I was chunking my 285/70-17 KM2's pretty good, I was only airing down to around 16-18lbs. Some one suggested I go to lower psi, so I started going down to 12, sometimes 10 and the chunking mostly stopped. Only small nicks after that, totally livable. I now have 35" KM2's and haven't chunked them yet. For the sake of the horror story side, I am getting ready to take them in to discount for the 3rd time to rebalance. I've had a vibration around 60-65 mph. They're getting it closer, it's down to a slight vibration as of the 2nd trip. My smaller tires balanced perfect the first time and only needed rebalanced once in 50k miles. I have nothing to add for snow and ice as I live near Phoenix, they do fine in our monsoon rains though. At least in my opinion.
Do you mean lower psi off road to reduce "chunking" or on road?
Old 12-31-2014, 03:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mschneid
Do you mean lower psi off road to reduce "chunking" or on road?
Sorry, I meant off road. On road I kept them around 30psi.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bthomas
.......... For the sake of the horror story side, I am getting ready to take them in to discount for the 3rd time to rebalance. I've had a vibration around 60-65 mph. They're getting it closer, it's down to a slight vibration as of the 2nd trip.......
Forgot to mention in my comments above that neither of the two sets of KM2s I had would balance properly. In fact the notoriously hard to balance MTR/Ks were easier to dial in than either set of KM2s. A club member tried a set on his CJ7 and gave up on them after even having a Road Forcce balance done on them failed.

Last edited by SoK66; 03-08-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by genrec
So, I'm seriously considering these tires in the next couple weeks, instead of hearing how great they are I'd like to hear about issues that may deter me, or scary stories, of failure, or sliding in the rain or snow, or any elements. I live in SoCal so we obviously don't get tons of rain, but I do hit the snow when we get it a handful of times a year and have to deal with rain. Who is running these KM2's has had issues, who has regrets, or any scary stories of slipping or sliding, doesn't think these do well on road, in rain, in snow, but only perform good in mud and dirt. Just want to make sure I'm making a good choice for all terrains....if that's possible in a MT tire.
What you asking is really hard to answers because it truly is opinion based. I was SHOCKED on how well these tires handled in adverse weather. But it has been 20 years since I have dealt with mud tires and tires today are much better. I can't see me with any other tire. I run at 32 psi with a 35-12.5- 15 tire. I beat the crap out of them (actually raced them on a paved circle track) with countless off road trips and have only worn away 4/32 of tread in 25k miles. As far as balance mine have not been rebalance since new and never had any problems.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SoK66
Forgot to mention in my comments above that neither of the two sets of KM2s I had would balance properly. In fact the notoriously hard to balance MTR/Ks were easier to dial in than either set of KM2s. A club member tried a set on his CJ7 and gave up on them after even having a Road Forcce balance done on them failed.
I'm going to give them another chance at it, they may have to make a new commercial for Discount tire after that.. A middle aged bald guy hucking 5 35's through the glass! Actually I hope they can get them right.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:29 AM
JK Junkie

Check out the BFg K02 A/T, Put them on my RAM and they have been outstanding
Old 12-31-2014, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had mine for a year and a half and haven't had one issue at all. But I am in southern alabama and don't see much snow. They are great off road and I have spun the tires a bit in wet conditions but nothing crazy. They measured up at 35x12.5 just like they say.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Different people with different stories

I wanted to try the MTR Kevlar in a 35" size and was not sure if I wanted those or 37" tires. So I purchased a set of 35" MTR's online for a super cheap price, the guy needed money and when I got there they were not nearly as close to the amount of tread left he said so I low balled him. He based all tires and value off the tire with the least amount of wear
The MTR's were the worst tire I ever owned, they pulled all over the place and I thought that going to a larger tire that I had something wrong with the front end, because issue magnify when you go to a larger tire. I had the old style MTR on my TJ and I loved them! I think the MTR's were coming apart or something, but have heard from some others that they pull badly. On the other hand something to know is that they are a directional tire so rotating tires is limited!
I found a set of used KM2's from a friend for a good deal so I purchased a new set of all terrains for daily driving and the 37's for off roading.
I will say that the KM2's are sipped in the middle so I have chunking from off roading, but from what I hear that is the only way to run those tires for best traction. Otherwise they are not that good in the snow.
I have driven them in the snow a bit and they are OK, what you would expect form a mud terrain tire that is wide and large lugs.
My .2 cents is if you go with KM2's then sipe them!

Good luck!

Quick Reply: BFG KM2 - Issues - Horror Stories