Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BFG??? Goodyear??

Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFG??? Goodyear??

I've been doing research on tires that I'm pretty set on choosing. For the name, price, treadlife and results from Bfg's T/A ko's and goodyears duratracs, im pretty much in a pickle. I'd say im a 80% highway 20% off-road guy. I run a 2.5 RC suspension lift and will more than likely run 33's on stock 17 inch wheels. What better place to get advice than on here?? Would definitely appreciate feedback. Thanks!!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20% off-road is probably more than what most of us really do for wheeling. And most of us that wheel will go for the most aggressive tire we can run while still balancing some on road manners.

For the two tires you mentioned, the Duratracs seem to perform better off-road from what I've seen. The BFG's will probably outlast your Jeep so if longevity is a concern, those are a great choice. They aren't the best for rock trails as they don't grip as well as the Duratracs or a more aggressive tire.

People on this forum are big fans of the Toyo Mud terrains and the Nitto Trail Grapplers. With either, you kind of get the best of both worlds with very good on-road handling and awesome off-road.

Pricing on the Toyos is very good right now so maybe look into those befroe completely settling down with more of an all terrain tire. If you really do 20% off-road, then you will be thankful you did.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
People on this forum are big fans of the Toyo Mud terrains and the Nitto Trail Grapplers. With either, you kind of get the best of both worlds with very good on-road handling and awesome off-road.

Pricing on the Toyos is very good right now so maybe look into those befroe completely settling down with more of an all terrain tire. If you really do 20% off-road, then you will be thankful you did.
Very well stated. I run 35" Toyo M/T's and they are great on and off the road...
Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love my Duratracs. I was looking at the BFGs becasue it was such a PITA to find a set of Duratracs. I think it was worth the time and effort to find them. They were great for driving around the city and mountains back in VA and they are doing great down here in the mud and sand
Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
20% off-road is probably more than what most of us really do for wheeling. And most of us that wheel will go for the most aggressive tire we can run while still balancing some on road manners.

For the two tires you mentioned, the Duratracs seem to perform better off-road from what I've seen. The BFG's will probably outlast your Jeep so if longevity is a concern, those are a great choice. They aren't the best for rock trails as they don't grip as well as the Duratracs or a more aggressive tire.

Honestly, I might even be exaggerating when I say 80/20 for highway/off-road. Lol sorry about that. But thanks for the info. I've heard good things about Toyo in general. Might have to stray away from anything MT for now.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bernigoober
I love my Duratracs. I was looking at the BFGs becasue it was such a PITA to find a set of Duratracs. I think it was worth the time and effort to find them. They were great for driving around the city and mountains back in VA and they are doing great down here in the mud and sand
Sweet!!! I'm realizing that im picky as hell when its coming to choosing these tires. Lol What kind of treadlife are you expecting out of them??
Old 11-07-2012, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to throw my two cents out there i run coopers AT3s. Their not talked about much on here but they were 257 apiece for 315/70/17 and they are quiet. Im about 10000 miles in and they still look brand new. Might be worth a look
Old 11-07-2012, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got about 30,000 miles on my Duratracs. They're excellent onroad/offroad tire, not too heavy. Kick ass in the snow/ice. I expect another 30-40,000 miles out of them. I wish they made them in 37's - I'd buy another set after these....
Old 11-07-2012, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wvudave
Just to throw my two cents out there i run coopers AT3s. Their not talked about much on here but they were 257 apiece for 315/70/17 and they are quiet. Im about 10000 miles in and they still look brand new. Might be worth a look
No doubt, haven't seen these in person yet but they do look like something worth getting. Haven't priced them around but for that much on that size sounds pretty good to me!!! Where'd you Puck yours up at??
Old 11-07-2012, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Pick*, my fault.

Quick Reply: BFG??? Goodyear??