Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Beware of Smittybilt ! SRC Side Armor

Old 08-28-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem but I bought the SRC front and rear bumpers. The front went on easy. The back was a different story... They didn't cut the tubes that ran inside the bumper so I couldn't get the bumper to slide onto my frame.. Had to cut a few inches off the tubes on each side for them to slide on. They look great now that they are on. Just an unexpected problem...
Old 08-28-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

I have had zero issues with my SRC front bumper, rear bumper, and rocker guards. I guess every jeep is different with all of these fitament issues. My welds look solid on all of mine as well.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

My XRC rear bumper / tire carrier is a piece of trash. Just a footnote to the sea of complaints out there...

Cost, rust, poor instructions, weight, and carrier rattling against bumper incessantly; producing crazy noise and outlandish wear on the bracket.

...pretty doesn't cut it.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:34 AM
JK Freak

The front/rear I helped install on my buddies went on with no problems at all. My sliders took me about 20 minutes to install, and that included removing the stock rails.
I switched to some poison spyder rails BC I found a set local for a good price, but wouldn't hesitate to go smittybilt again.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Even after reading the issues people were having with the SRC sliders, I still took the chance based off price. Surprisingly installation wasn't too bad for me and I do like the look of them. A couple of rock hits later and I now have dented rockers from where they flexed in the middle. Yup, the exact opposite of what they were purchased for but a gamble I chose to take none the less.

I stayed on Smittybilt with emails and calls and searched for instances in the past where people were successful getting some type of response back. It took me a couple of weeks but once the communication started flowing, they were actually quite prompt. After providing proof of purchase and some pics, they offered me the XRC sliders and had them at my door within a couple of days for no cost.

Was it worth dents in my Jeeps rockers? No. Is it an excuse for a lower quality product? Absolutely not. Are they good for LIGHT use? Maybe. Just wanted to pass along my experience... I lived and learned!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Lame product!! Buyers Beware!!

I just purchased and installed the SRC rocker guards to Protect my brand new JK. The install went fine, then went out and did some minor wheeling and as you can see in the pics, both passenger and drivers side rocker panels got mangled!!! Didn't dent or even scratch the guards, but they sure flexed enough to dent the piss out of my rockers. I'll never buy any Smittybilt products again, Ever! I wasn't expecting bomb proof performance but this is ridiculous at best. Will be contacting them ASAP and hopefully reach a resolution. Going to my first big Jeep event this weekend the Fall Crawl in NH. Went over to my buddy's shop this morning and had him fabricate brackets to stop guards from flexing. He did a great job and we'll see how they hold up this weekend. I don't understand why Smittybilt doesn't put a 3rd bracket for off center body mount?? Hopefully this saves someone the headache I'm experiencing!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-317100146.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	363048   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1826186060.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	363050   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1480693908.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	363051   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-574115375.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	363052  
Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, just installed these. Hmmm, CRAP!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

That really sucks cause I was about to order them for my 07
Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

I had fitment issues as well when I installed these on my wife's 4dr. But I figured the bolt on part bent slightly during shipping. I had to install front location about half threaded then pull rear out to get it all to line up
Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ghostjk
ive been thinking about getting the xrc fender flares, does anyone have them? do they fit and bolt right on or did you have trouble? pics please!
They are awesome! BUT! Worst instructions evr AND they sent me the 4 door front, and the 2 door rears. The front was standard, the rear, metric. Makes NO sense! And the right tail late hole was smaller then the left. I love the look and they are really strong. But i will nvr buy any thing else from them. Most of the holes lined up. But u still have to drill. ALOT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1356488208.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	363193

Name:	image-820176608.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	363194

Name:	image-1394934376.jpg