Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BEWARE: Rampage Hood Bra Eats Paint

Old 05-17-2016, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry BEWARE: Rampage Hood Bra Eats Paint

So I just bought a Rampage Hood Bra about 3 weeks ago because it's spring here in the northeast and I wanted to protect my hood from stones. I had the thing on about 2 weeks and removed it for the first time today to wash some pollen off of my car. I was horrified by what I discovered.

The dye or material... or something... had eaten away at the paint of my car. At first I thought that it was just something stuck to it from the product but, after close inspection, it was clear that something in the Bra had interacted with the paint and caused it to fade blue. I am so mad.

Rampage has been responsive so far but if I dont get compensation to repaint my hood, I'm going to be so angry.

Just wanted to post this so others car watch out. See pictures below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	4.56 MB
ID:	647411Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 4.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	4.41 MB
ID:	647412Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 5.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	4.85 MB
ID:	647413Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 7.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	647414Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 10.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	4.56 MB
ID:	647415Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 12.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	647416
Old 05-17-2016, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Never really saw the draw of a hood bra. Aesthetically it does nothing for me and I've heard, regardless of brand, that hood bras will eventually fade the applied area no matter what part of the country you're in or how much sun it's getting.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Agreed... but 2 weeks isnt enough time to fade anything. It definitely ate away at the paint, it's like this weird blue color.

Serves me right for getting a bra or anything from Rampage, I guess.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

That definitely sucks.

Any potential it could just be some kind of moisture which will clear up once the sun bakes on it and the moisture dries up?

The reason I ask is because by looking at your pictures, it seems like the top clear coat looks relatively untouched on top of the dis-colorization. So it seems like if the paint was truly messed up, the top clear coat would be as well.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Def not moisture. The clear coat does look alright in the pictures but when you touch it, you can feel that it isnt exactly the same texture as the rest. Less smooth or something. Real strange.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I generally avoid hood bra's since all they do is trap dirt and moisture and make the situation a lot worse over time. Every vehicle I've seen long term that has had one of those has awful rusting underneath it from the bra vibrating any dirt through the paint and just wearing it down while it holds a nice damp surface underneath.

What you have those is flat out funky though. It shouldn't happen anywhere near that quick. You could try giving them a call and see if they know anything about it.

Could it be just some dye on the clear coat that could be removed?

And its a Jeep, not a car
Old 05-17-2016, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Trapping water/dirt particles against the clear coat can cause the clear coat to get foggy. Magnets can do the same thing. Depending on how deep it goes it may be able to be buffed out. This is based solely on what I've read as I never have had it happen to me because I was aware of the issue and therefore never used a product that could trap moisture against my paint.

Last edited by 14Sport; 05-17-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

This happened to my cousins mercedes (2011), after I repeatedly told him that it would ruin his paint. He had it on for about a month.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

After a month?!?!? It has to be something besides condensation because that seems crazy.

Originally Posted by SF_E60
This happened to my cousins mercedes (2011), after I repeatedly told him that it would ruin his paint. He had it on for about a month.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ssorbttam
After a month?!?!? It has to be something besides condensation because that seems crazy.
It was not as bad as yours is, but you can start to see the discoloration. Not sure if sun + rain plays a big part of it but his car sat in the sun allot.

Quick Reply: BEWARE: Rampage Hood Bra Eats Paint