Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Betterment charge through insurance

Old 04-23-2015, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have any of you been charged a "betterment" fee during an insurance claim because they say that I'm getting a new transmission and my old one had 16k miles so they are wanting me to pay my deductible plus $1000 for betterment.... That's like saying the tranny is only good for 128k miles and that I'll need $1000 in repairs every 16k miles... Wtf???
Old 04-24-2015, 01:05 AM
JK Newbie

Shitty insurance
Old 04-24-2015, 01:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Argue with them that the betterment fee is excessive for the wear and tear on a reasonably new transmission. Also tell them that you intend to pursue a diminished value claim for the loss of value for your vehicle now that CarFax has an accident recorded against it. Be aware that you may have to pursue any claims through arbitration--depending on what you've agreed to in your insurance policy.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah betterment stinks and that seems pretty steep for a transmission with 16K on it, I would talk with the adjuster and see how they are coming up with the numbers. However you will only be able to pursue a diminished value claim if you’re a “third” party claimant (i.e. dealing with an at-fault carrier) you won’t be able to make a diminished value claim against your own policy, so since you mention your deductible I assume this is an at fault accident/incident?
Old 04-24-2015, 08:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by ks-matt
... you will only be able to pursue a diminished value claim if you’re a “third” party claimant ...
That sucks. But, it's also not completely correct. In OP's case, it appears you're right. But, in your state, you may file a diminished value claim against your own policy. And when it went to the Supreme Court of the state of Washington, the court agreed. So, threatening an insurance company may prove a useful tactic in another state.

DIMINISHED VALUE FAQS | Insurance Consumer Advocate Network
Old 04-24-2015, 10:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1000 in betterment seams steep curious how much a transmission is and if it is a new one I am not 100% sure about your state but most states if Betterment is applied it is to a Brand new OEM part not a used. 1000 seems like the trans would be 10,000 @ 10% without installation. I have charged betterment to customers but I was always cool about it. not trying to pull the pants down on a customer. You can always call the DOI for your state they set the regulations for the insurance company for it.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Betterment = Actual Cash Value It is debatable and negotiable. They owe you for one of like kind and quality. Search for a used transmission with ~16K miles. That is the minimum they should pay plus labor and fluids. + sales tax. Most states you can not depreciate labor or sales tax.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.

Last edited by CerOf; 04-25-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

A betterment charge is a tool that insurance companies use to avoid paying for the complete amount of repairs after a car accident. Basically, if a repair is needed to a “wear and tear” part of your vehicle, the insurance company will only pay a percentage of the cost of that replacement part.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

Hey, dudes. Has there been an increase in collision of insurance rates? I even didn't feel it. For example the company Total-Insurace, you can check their site - https://www.total-insurance.co.uk/ta...axi-insurance/, where I insured my car, didn't even increase anything in the price list of its services. For example, as I had 1200 for my Audi Q5, it remained so. Furthermore, their prices tend to decrease every year. For example, each year I get a discount on extension on contract. All in all I'm quite happy I use their services and due to this save my nerves and money.

Last edited by JonathanButler; 08-19-2020 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Betterment charge through insurance