Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

better tires

Old 11-15-2008, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm probably going to get lashed here, but if you plan on doing ANY road driving, I'd stay FAR FAR away from anything that says "Interco" on it. I had a set of Swampers and Thornbirds and they were anything but round and tortuous over 45mph. Off-road, they were incredible (edge to the swampers)

I have to say that its sad how little press the Hankook Dynapro MT's get. I'm running 33's on my JK now and I will keep buying these tires until the wheels fall off the Jeep. They are $150/ea for a 33". So far I have 35K miles on my set and an easy 25K more to go. They ride great and the best part is they are insane off-road. There are far better mud-specific tires, but I wheel the p!ss out of my JK for work and play and they've never let me down. Go Hankook.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:55 PM
JK Freak

I guess I'm not going through deep enough mud I havent have been pretty impressed with my Pro Comp Extreme AT's.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tricked919
I'm probably going to get lashed here, but if you plan on doing ANY road driving, I'd stay FAR FAR away from anything that says "Interco" on it. I had a set of Swampers and Thornbirds and they were anything but round and tortuous over 45mph. Off-road, they were incredible (edge to the swampers)

I have to say that its sad how little press the Hankook Dynapro MT's get. I'm running 33's on my JK now and I will keep buying these tires until the wheels fall off the Jeep. They are $150/ea for a 33". So far I have 35K miles on my set and an easy 25K more to go. They ride great and the best part is they are insane off-road. There are far better mud-specific tires, but I wheel the p!ss out of my JK for work and play and they've never let me down. Go Hankook.
I have run my TSL's up to 80mph before many many times, and they were plenty smooth. However, the larger you go, the more issues you may have.

Also, these are his SECOND set of tires to use for the trail only. The only hwy time is the trip to the trail.

Oh, and if you use 15" wheels, you need to go with a different backspacing to clear the calipers.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Junkie

Oh yeah, you can get radial Iroks if you wanted.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Brdhoodlum
I guess I'm not going through deep enough mud I havent have been pretty impressed with my Pro Comp Extreme AT's.
yeah the mud down here is a mixture of sand and mud and it just dosent want to come clear on the at's. don't get me wrong i love the at's but not gonna cut it.

what kind of back spacing are we talking about for the 15's? i noticed that the irok's come in a 36x13.5x16 in both radials and bias.

for that tire which would be better radial or bias??

keep it coming please
Old 11-15-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stuka
Oh, and if you use 15" wheels, you need to go with a different backspacing to clear the calipers.
Hmnnn, Don't quite follow this remark. Backspacing doesn't help you clear the calipers, it helps keep the body of the tire away from frame/suspension/steering parts like sway bar links. Calipers are the part that sticks out the farthest from the axle centerline (inside the wheel), which is why 15" rims are as small as you can go. depending on the shape of the rim where it seats with the brake rotor, you might need to grind a small amount off the caliper for clearance, many times not. There are several threads here on this subject.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by LemonTwist
Hmnnn, Don't quite follow this remark. Backspacing doesn't help you clear the calipers, it helps keep the body of the tire away from frame/suspension/steering parts like sway bar links. Calipers are the part that sticks out the farthest from the axle centerline (inside the wheel), which is why 15" rims are as small as you can go. depending on the shape of the rim where it seats with the brake rotor, you might need to grind a small amount off the caliper for clearance, many times not. There are several threads here on this subject.
With 16" wheels you can go with as much as 4.75" BS (possibly more depending on tires). But with a 15" wheel, you wont clear the calipers if you went with that back spacing. And yeah, grinding may be required depending on the back spacing that you go with. Less back spacing moves the wheel farther out. And with most 15" wheels, the center area has a smaller diameter than the outer part of the wheel. Which is why less backspacing helps to clear the brakes.

You need to do the same thing to fit 15" wheels on a front D60.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

I will have to throw my vote to the TSL. I ran swampers on a toyota tacoma and you could not stop that truck in the mud.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can't go wrong with the Interco badge on them! Take your pick!
Old 11-16-2008, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

thank you gentleman

Quick Reply: better tires