Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Better Suspension?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better Suspension?

I have a 2007 stock wrangler x with only 21,000 miles on it. I hate the suspension on it with a passion it rides realy rough. I would like to go with a max 2 1/2" lift. Would I be better with different coils or would spacers and new shocks work ? Also what have you gusy heard of trailmaster lifts? found a great deal with shocks but I only want to do this once so I would rather buy a good kit then change it out a couple time.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Teraflex coil lift be my vote.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Rancho has my vote! Great product and a fair price. Go with 3'' lift kit and get the Rancho RS9000XL shocks. Great shock, has 9 position from a hard stiff ride to an easy nice Cadillac like ride, lol.

Good luck on your search!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Killfoot1775
Rancho has my vote! Great product and a fair price. Go with 3'' lift kit and get the Rancho RS9000XL shocks. Great shock, has 9 position from a hard stiff ride to an easy nice Cadillac like ride, lol.

Good luck on your search!
Yup, love my 2" rancho sport life with 9000XL's, the thing rides smooth as butter at setting 1

I'll go ahead and point out.... that a "lift kit" in and of itself won't necesarrily make your ride smoother, it will heavily fall on the shock.
You can just buy new shocks right now if you don't want to deal with changing the coils.

Unless you want a lift anyways, in which case, disregard!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

2.5 AEV

Rancho adjustable shocks are really good shocks to adjust ur ride. Smooth or firm... I really liked them in my Z71.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Former Vendor

You will want to change out your springs instead of running a spacers. As everyone else is mentioning a good set of shocks will go a long way. A lot of people like to run the Bilstien 5100's. These shocks tend to give you a nice ride on the road and still perform well off road. Another set of shocks that are well worth it are the RRD's by Rock Krawler. These guys really nailed it with these shocks. They match perfectly with the kits they manufacture. If you would like pricing on a 2.5" lift and some shocks shoot us a pm.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Namtaru

Yup, love my 2" rancho sport life with 9000XL's, the thing rides smooth as butter at setting 1

I'll go ahead and point out.... that a "lift kit" in and of itself won't necesarrily make your ride smoother, it will heavily fall on the shock.
You can just buy new shocks right now if you don't want to deal with changing the coils.

Unless you want a lift anyways, in which case, disregard!
X3 on Rancho 9000 they will make you Jeep feel like it's on a magical cloud of softness.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are focused on ride quality, regardless of the lift you pick, I suggest you pay equal attention to the shocks. The Rancho shock's ride is on the comfortable side.

My vote is for the AEV 2.5" lift which will include ride quality as well as handling, which are not the same thing.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

If you do not like the truck like ride your Jeep has now, you will not like it after it is lifted. I thought the factory ride on my 13 was fairly good for a solid axle light 4x4 truck. The handling on the other hand left much to be desired.

After lift and tires (a major ride & handling component) its ride was not as soft ( do in large part to the tires) but livable to me given solid axles and all. The handling characteristic are now night and day over factory. Mountain roads and high speed overpasses are things I throughly enjoy to drive. I could never say the same for the factory suspension and tires.

If your looking for just a better ride IMO forego a lift and focus on tires and shocks. On the other hand if you want better handling look at a quality lift in the 2-3 inch range and run an A/T tire.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the great advice. I do want a lift, but the jeep will see pretty much 99% time on pavement, so I dont want to go overboard. I thought about just getting new shocks, but figured with the price of the ranch lift how could I go wrong with lift and shocks. I hope to order it this week.

Quick Reply: Better Suspension?