Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Better Ride Quality

Old 11-21-2010, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better Ride Quality

I am looking to get a better on-road ride for my JK, since better is so subjective, what I need is something a but less harsh when hitting bumps, or driving on Michigan's horrible roads.

I know there are threads on similar things but I am looking for input from the guys who have tried multiple springs, tires, shocks etc.

My current set up is 2007 Unlimited X, 4 inch Skyjacker lift, with the lower arms and track bar relo. For shocks I am running the Rancho 9000s (already ditched the skyjackers). Tires are Toyo OPAT 315/75/16 D load range. Stock rear bumper, stock stubby mod front with hidden winch. As the my Chief Financial Officer appropriates the funds I am planning on LOD front and rear bumpers.

That being said, when I lived in Arizona my ride seemed fine, but the roads in Michigan leave alot to be desired. I am looking for a "softer" on road feel, I have heard good things of OME and Teraflex springs, and am curious of the Off Road Evolution Plush Rides, also recommendations on tires, everything I find is D or E range, other than Geolander MT's which are C,

Any input from those of you have tried a few different things is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got an 07 unlimited with the full EVO setup. It rides very nice but at a big price to the wallet. The other side of the problem is the tires as you indicated. Get a lower load range tire and run them at a pressure that fits your jeep. There is no need to run tires at the full pressure as listed on the sidewall.
Oh yeah. My 07 is in Michigan and I know what you mean about the roads. It's almost like off road while on road in Michigan.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GetOut
I know there are threads on similar things but I am looking for input from the guys who have tried multiple springs, tires, shocks etc.

My current set up is 2007 Unlimited X, 4 inch Skyjacker lift, with the lower arms and track bar relo. For shocks I am running the Rancho 9000s (already ditched the skyjackers). Tires are Toyo OPAT 315/75/16 D load range.
I am looking for a "softer" on road feel, I have heard good things of OME and Teraflex springs, and am curious of the Off Road Evolution Plush Rides, also recommendations on tires, everything I find is D or E range, other than Geolander MT's which are C,
"light truck tires use load ranges that ascend in alphabetical order (letters further along in the alphabet identify stronger tires that can withstand higher inflation pressures and carry heavier loads)." -Tire Rack.

Originally Posted by AZ_JK
Get a lower load range tire and run them at a pressure that fits your jeep. There is no need to run tires at the full pressure as listed on the sidewall.
X2

Also Check out Full Traction for lifts! I was able to drive Chris' FT 3" LA lift and the ride was great and smooth when handling all the bumps and dips in the road. Chris is the FT rep on this forum.

Quick Reply: Better Ride Quality