Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Better price for wheel spacers?

Old 02-28-2016, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better price for wheel spacers?

Hi all, noob here, just bought a JKU and scoping out parts. Found these wheel spacers on Amazon, price isn't bad, reviews looked good, thinking about picking them up. My question is this: why the extra $$ for brands like Spidertrax? Are they really any better or just the typical brand name mark up game like Under Armor or North Face?

Amazon.com: Titan Wheel Accessories t150-55-715-1220-4 Set of 4 5x5 1.50" inch (38mm) Hubcentric (71.5mm Hub) Wheel Spacers 1/2" x 20 studs: Automotive
Old 02-28-2016, 02:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They might be just fine and you may have zero issues but for something that holds the wheels on, I'm not skimping on parts.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by afpilot82
They might be just fine and you may have zero issues but for something that holds the wheels on, I'm not skimping on parts.
Exactly this. There are some things you just don't look for the best deal on. BORA (bullet proof off-road adapters) makes some great stuff and they are made in the US and really well priced. Big in the hardcore off-road world, but fairly unknown with JKs. Check them out. That is the only stuff I will use.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Point taken, thank you gentlemen. I was leaning the same way but i wanted to see if I was over thinking it.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There is a bunch of info out there, just takes a bit to track it down sometimes. Check the links in post 6.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...s-safe-317080/
Old 02-28-2016, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get what you pay for... Its almost always true.

North face and under armor make high quality stuff. If you want to buy the cheap kmart clothes then i dont see any major issues. But do you really want to play the cheap game when it comes to holding your tire on your jeep at 70mph down the highway?
Old 02-28-2016, 09:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
You get what you pay for... Its almost always true. North face and under armor make high quality stuff. If you want to buy the cheap kmart clothes then i dont see any major issues. But do you really want to play the cheap game when it comes to holding your tire on your jeep at 70mph down the highway?
Hmmm... So you're telling me that spidertrax spacers and the like, are the only ones that are capable of holding on a wheel at mph? Damn, I wonder how RC and all those other brands are even still in business....
Old 02-29-2016, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Hmmm... So you're telling me that spidertrax spacers and the like, are the only ones that are capable of holding on a wheel at mph? Damn, I wonder how RC and all those other brands are even still in business....
Nope. Didnt say that at all. The cheap wheel spacers may be better for all i know.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So I'll beat this horse once more.

An example that's similar. Buy some steel strap (like 1/8") from Lowe's (Chinese sourced) and weld it. You'll get spatter and poor welds. Buy 1/8" steel strap from a steel company that sells U.S. steel and it'll almost weld itself.

Anything that I think needs to hold for a long time or has safety involved, I stick with U.S. made... if it doesn't matter if it'll break, then I'll buy cheap.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There are some metallurgical tests in the link I posted. (or in the links that are in the link I posted, I guess I should say)

Go to post 6, click the Spidertrax Wheel Spacer Safety link, then check posts 9 and 38 in that one.

Who knows if anyone will ever have an issue with parts sourced overseas. Just because the quality is lower, or the QA not as rigorous, doesn't automatically mean they will fail. But on something like a wheel adapter, I personally will err on the side of caution instead of going for the lowest bidder...

Quick Reply: Better price for wheel spacers?