Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bestop TrekTop NX vs Rampage Bowless Sailcloth

Old 08-08-2013, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bestop TrekTop NX vs Rampage Bowless Sailcloth

I am considering new soft top options as I am not a fan of my factory soft top. I have a hard top that will be going on once fall comes around, and at that time I will be selling my factory top and looking for something else.

The two tops I have been considering are the TrekTop NX and the Rampage Bowless Trail Top, sailcloth version. I have researched both as far as the internet could take me, and I am really lacking in consistent opinions of the Rampage top to compare to the TrekTop NX, which has oodles of information across the web due to its popularity. A lot of the information and complaints I have found from both tops were early in their stages as tops, so I am looking for up to date opinions on both tops. There are things I like and things I dislike about both. I realize there are other posts about this, but I found it easier to tailor a post to my questions and concerns.

First, I'd like to know if anyone has experience with both of these tops, and if so, your opinion would be most appreciated.
If no one exists who has had experience with both, I'd like to hear from an owner/user of each. I have a few basic questions for each top.

TrekTop NX:
1. Any leaking? If so, where and why (do you suspect)?
2. Any ripping, tearing, etc?
3. Is it annoying dealing with the windows? More or less annoying than the factory soft top? Especially considering you have to take the tailgate bar out to remove the window.
4. how was install?
5. can it fit under a hard top?

Rampage TrailTop:
1. Any leaking? If so, where and why (do you suspect)?
2. Any ripping, tearing, etc?
3. Do you find the window compartment convenient?
4. Do you dislike the fact that you can't easily have an open air experience? Is safari mode enough for you?
5. How easy is it to fully take the top off?
6. Do you feel you got your moneys worth?
7. how was install?
8. can it fit under a hard top?

Any information you feel is relevant, please chime in. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gibsonfirebird12; 08-08-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. No leaks other than where the gutter ends and I'm parked with the front facing the upward slope. There's a little lip that continues past the side window that allows water to trickle in. I shaved the lip down and park with the rear on the up side. No leaks while driving.

2. The side windows have 2 pull tabs to help with the install/putting them back on. One of the pull tabs stitching ripped, but it's still functional. Some minor tearing on the rear top section where you install a cross over bar. Same on both sides. I've taken 10+ hour road trips in Safari mode only, no doors. The flapping might have stressed it. See pic below.

3. I rarely use the back of the Jeep, but when I was on a backpacking trip where we need to access the back multiple times, it was annoying/fiddly. The bar is bigger than the space between the side windows, so now I pull the bottom of the side windows out a bit and it now it's fine, didn't do this during that backpacking trip.

4. Install took 2-3 times longer than expected, but the only problem I struggled with was getting the front to latch. Now that it's stretched out, it's fine.

5. Pretty sure you have to remove the some of the brackets, not sure which ones as I haven't put my hardtop back on since I've installed it.

Last edited by TRAUMAhead; 08-08-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead
1. No leaks other than where the gutter ends and I'm parked with the front facing the upward slope. There's a little lip that continues past the side window that allows water to trickle in. I shaved the lip down and park with the rear on the up side. No leaks while driving.

2. The side windows have 2 pull tabs to help with the install/putting them back on. One of the pull tabs stitching ripped, but it's still functional. Some minor tearing on the rear top section where you install a cross over bar. Same on both sides. I've taken 10+ hour road trips in Safari mode only, no doors. The flapping might have stressed it. See pic below.

3. I rarely use the back of the Jeep, but when I was on a backpacking trip where we need to access the back multiple times, it was annoying/fiddly. The bar is bigger than the space between the side windows, so now I pull the bottom of the side windows out a bit and it now it's fine, didn't do this during that backpacking trip.

4. Install took 2-3 times longer than expected, but the only problem I struggled with was getting the front to latch. Now that it's stretched out, it's fine.

5. Pretty sure you have to remove the some of the brackets, not sure which ones as I haven't put my hardtop back on since I've installed it.

Hmm this is making me think twice about the trektop nx. access to the rear is a must, and I don't like the idea of ripping. my factory hasnt had a single tear yet.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 AM
JK Newbie

Just get an oem tailgate bar and use that with the rear nx window. It's alot easier to get off and makes access to the rear alot more practical.

Quick Reply: Bestop TrekTop NX vs Rampage Bowless Sailcloth