Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bestop Trektop help/advice

Old 03-21-2016, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bestop Trektop help/advice

So I bought this twill top used from a lady. She had it on her jeep for one summer, then I purchased it that fall from her. We put it on and man it looked sharp. Drove it.......then crap, something is wrong. The windshield header is warped, then the stitching on the rear passenger is starting to separate

I know they warranty there stuff to the original purchaser and I know about the risk involved in buying used stuff..... So I contacted bestop and there's nothing they can do. I say nothing they will do. Seems crappy to me to not back your product if it's within warranty time and something that is defective. It costs 675 bucks for the top piece because it is sewen into header piece and 160 for the rear panel. I can buy a new one for that, I don't care if its twill or not. Rant over.

Anyone have an idea how to correct this
Old 03-21-2016, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150815_093803072.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	4.52 MB
ID:	641288

Hard top is on now, and I don't have any pics of the windshield header, but it sits high on both sides of the window probably 1/4". Makes lots of wind noise
Old 03-21-2016, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just read somewhere that I could try putting this piece between two 4x4 posts and crank on some bolts to true it up. Lol, kinda redneck, but I'm game
Old 03-21-2016, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try very hard to contact the original owner and try to get her to warranty it out. I would be very polite and assure her that you are not attacking her for scamming you, but that it is a little unfair for you to have paid her for a virtually "junk" top. If I were in her shoes I would certainly not have a problem taking care of that.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I would try very hard to contact the original owner and try to get her to warranty it out. I would be very polite and assure her that you are not attacking her for scamming you, but that it is a little unfair for you to have paid her for a virtually "junk" top. If I were in her shoes I would certainly not have a problem taking care of that.
I'm looking but it's like finding a needle in a hay stack. That was over a year ago and I didn't keep her number
Old 03-23-2016, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

No luck finding original owner. Put it on Craigslist with all the info on what's wrong with it. Maybe someone else will make an offer on it.....
Bestop said I can get the new top piece for half price, so $350 instead of close to $700.....so I may do that.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My header also sticks up on the ends since new and I've seen other trektops do the same thing. Guess it's "normal"...

An upholsterer will be able to fix the issue with the stitching.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crusaderJK
My header also sticks up on the ends since new and I've seen other trektops do the same thing. Guess it's "normal"...

An upholsterer will be able to fix the issue with the stitching.
It's not stitching that sticks up and no that's not normal. I had one before and it didn't do this. That's warranty for you if you are original purchaser., which I'm not.
Should fit flush and flat all across the window.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had one for 2 years no issues. The bending back may work if it warped.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Bestop Trektop help/advice