Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bestop Trektop & 50" light bar.... Not a good mix......

Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bestop Trektop & 50" light bar.... Not a good mix......

So I love my Trektop.... Not too much flapping noise on the hiway.... But I just installed a 50" light bar over the windshield with a psc mount, and WOW does the back section of my Trektop flap all over the place making an UNGODLY noise with the windows up.... With the windows down a crack, it don't seem as bad but it may just be hearing extra road noise covering it up.... Anyone else have this problem? Any fixes?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that with the top closed up with all panels on? Or panels off? Top open or closed?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

interesting I just noticed it too. does it sound like a speaker popping???
mines with top and everything closed. usually 35+mph
Old 04-11-2013, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

turn your fan/blower on one notch with windows up!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:38 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Patman
Is that with the top closed up with all panels on? Or panels off? Top open or closed?
Both... With it all closed up its worse... With windows cracked, it's not as bad
Originally Posted by GeeHost
interesting I just noticed it too. does it sound like a speaker popping???
mines with top and everything closed. usually 35+mph
Yes that's a good description of the sound.... Like a speaker pop, it's the rear aluminum arch wobbling all OVER.... I put pressure upward on the rear bar the sound stops. And mine starts around 40+
Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper
turn your fan/blower on one notch with windows up!
I'll try that! Thanks!

Last edited by Jersey_Devil; 04-12-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's interesting...which 50" light bar are you using? I have the Rigid SR and don't have any issues. If you're running the E series or another double stack, I can see why you'd have this problem. The only possible suggestion I could make would be to research an alternate mount, something that lowers the bar a bit to reduce windflow deflection.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Nwapache
That's interesting...which 50" light bar are you using? I have the Rigid SR and don't have any issues. If you're running the E series or another double stack, I can see why you'd have this problem. The only possible suggestion I could make would be to research an alternate mount, something that lowers the bar a bit to reduce windflow deflection.
Mine is a 50" Hanma.... Same EXACT specs as the rigid "double stack" I guess it's the e series, don't remember off top of my head.... And I have it on the PSC rigid mount. It sits low as it isClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365776318182.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	446089Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365776338083.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	446090lil hard to see in the pics but it only sits slightly higher than the roof

Old 04-12-2013, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil

Both... With it all closed up its worse... With windows cracked, it's not as bad

Yes that's a good description of the sound.... Like a speaker pop, it's the rear aluminum arch wobbling all OVER.... I put pressure upward on the rear bar the sound stops. And mine starts around 40+

I'll try that! Thanks!

that's funny you mention it. I did notice that and thought it was my sub wires touching. I even pulled over off the freeway to figure out if that what it was. can you explain what rear aluminum arch your talking about on the trektop! thinking some door trim or weather guard.
must be the airflow forcing it down. have you flipped back the sunrider with it on yet to see if there's any problems with noise?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say, in a nutshell, you're screwed there's enough disruption of airflow going over your windshield that the turbulence is smacking around your top back there. I can't imagine a fix for it. Sorry...
Old 04-12-2013, 06:48 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by GeeHost
that's funny you mention it. I did notice that and thought it was my sub wires touching. I even pulled over off the freeway to figure out if that what it was. can you explain what rear aluminum arch your talking about on the trektop! thinking some door trim or weather guard.
must be the airflow forcing it down. have you flipped back the sunrider with it on yet to see if there's any problems with noise?
My Trektop came with two aluminum arches one above front seat and one above rear.... They push up on the top to prevent it from slapping... Now it doing the exact opposite lol and yes I have flipped it open and there's no problem then (or I just can't hear it between Rd and radio noise) and if ur talking about the whistle, I knew about that and the fix before I ever even bought the light so no, no whistle here

Originally Posted by Nwapache
I'd say, in a nutshell, you're screwed there's enough disruption of airflow going over your windshield that the turbulence is smacking around your top back there. I can't imagine a fix for it. Sorry...
It's cool, I'm not too worried about it. Just wanted to let others know about my experience and see if anyone else had the same problem. I'm not the only one so I know it's not something that I did. If there was a quick fix then great but o well, I'm sure as shit not pulling off my light bar cuz of some flapping sound! Lol its an excuse to buy better speakers this summer!

Quick Reply: Bestop Trektop & 50" light bar.... Not a good mix......