Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bestop Instatrunk question

Old 09-06-2008, 11:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after well over an hour in 100+ temperatures, I've temporarily given up on installing my new Bestop Instatrunk.

The box arrived in apparently good shape but the brackets were all 3 bent out of shape. Got them aligned to insert the bolts, and all looks perfect - until I shut the top (glass) half of the hard-top tailgate. There isn't enough space for that window to close over the Instatrunk and still be able to shut the lower tailgate. I've come in to cool off so I can go back and figure out if the brackets are all totally wrong or if there's a design conflict preventing an Instatrunk working with a hard-top.

I know, I know - with a hard top, there's a much reduced need for the Instatrunk. But the hard top (especially the front 2 panels) are on and off quite regularly and I don't want to mess about with the trunk each time I reconfigure the roof.

It looks to me that the Instatrunk fits about a half inch lower and then under the top edge of the tailgate. But of course, that's where the upper window wants to seat its rubber seal.

I'm thinking of altering the brackets so the trunk sits further back into the Jeep. Although I know this will reduce security when the hard top is off.

Any better ideas..?

Quick Reply: Bestop Instatrunk question